... abit confused: how does a power cord affect the presentation of sound...

Hello to all...

I was shifting around components in my system, trying to squeeze out better controlled bass, more definition within the soundstage, and better define the "voice/midrange" presentation...

I presently have a tube preamp (hardwired with a wall wart) into an HT Receiver; source is a Marantz SA-8001 CD Player

Swapped out a Yamaha HTR -5550 (hardwired) for a Parasound HCA-750A (which needs a power cord).

CD Player is powered with a PS Audio Statement SC power cord, so I went in my closet and pulled out another PS AUDIO Statement SC power cord, hooked it up and expect to give it at least 5 days continuous re-break-in before serious listening.

Took a minute to lookup reviews about this power cord - and I read some rather confusing reviews: some luved 'um, some liked 'um, but some thought them " ...slow... " (?), and giving a veiled presentation...

I'm gonna listen and decide myself - but I'm abit confused: how does a power cord affect the presentation of sound - I know that interconnects and speaker cables would/could/Do affect sound presentation - but how could a power cord?

Explanation/thoughts please...
insearchofprat

glupson
5,893 posts
07-31-2020 12:06am
Do people still read textbooks?
Nope! One Google Machine and done! If it is in the internet, it must be true
Post removed 
Like I said before, nobody has able to devise a test to measure if a certain component is musical or analytical, or how large the soundstage or how deep ... and so on, so at the end of the day, you just have to listen.

For those who demand "measurement", I reply with "why don't you show all the parameters needed to measure".  A rhetorical question since nobody knows what the parameters are.    
That is actually quite simple:  The designer of a truly great amp does not use a crappy power cord to save a very few dollars, a practice that would make his amp sound worse so that you buy something else.  These cords thrive on the placebo effect, i.e. The more it costs, the better it must be.  Most power supplies are regulated, for one reason to keep your circuit breaker from tripping at turn on.  Another advantage is making caps, resistors, etc. last longer.  A third, incidental advantage, is to totally negate any possible advantage of a better power cord, once you have a decent one from any high end manufacturer that builds it own products. Companies that whore our their designs to be made by the cheapest bidder are the exception, but then you also get cheaper parts in the electronics.,
Guys

As a technician, audiophile and projector rebuilder of forty years experience, you have my assurance that power cords need only have large enough gauge wire for the amount of current to be carried, and decent quality plugs and sockets both ends. A power cord delivers current from a wall outlet to the equipment; there is no magic involved, just electrons.

Signal cables need only have decent conductors, bandwidth, plugs and shielding against ambient RF noise; again, no magic.