Magnepan dealers

I have owned Maggies in the past and went to their website tonight. This is probably old news out here and I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length but it looks like they're trying a different marketing model. All sales are direct from Magnepan. The dealers (it's the same bunch, at least here in the northeast) are "showroom only." You can go and listen but you can't buy from the dealer, only from the company. (See below.)

I'm interested in this in part because of the many threads on the declining market, the rise of online sales, possible strategies for marketing, and alternatives to brick-and-mortar stores. I'm also very interested in what this means for Magnepan. I hope it works for them. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts, and I apologize if I've missed any threads on this. Here's the description from their website:

---

"Magnepan is beginning a pilot program to address a problem facing many consumers. With the decline in the number of 2-channel dealers and the proliferation of high-end audio products, many consumers have no opportunity to audition Magneplanars (or other good audio products). As stated on our home page--- "Why in the world would anyone want a 6-foot tall panel speaker? They probably wouldn't......unless they heard it."

The Showroom Only Dealer is being well-compensated by Magnepan to provide a service to consumers in their market area. The Showroom Only Dealer is not permitted to sell Magneplanars. And you are not under any obligation. The dealer is simply providing you with the opportunity to hear Magneplanars in the dealer's facility. Later, if the customer chooses to buy a Magneplanar, they would contact Magnepan directly for the purchase."

northman
Johnny Rutan has the LRS at Audioconnection, or at least did when I last visited. He said they were selling like hotcakes. At $650, there isn’t much money a dealer will reap, but, hey, it’s business.
If you do go, check out the Vandy VLR's. Though a bit more money, they can really rock with a Belles Aria integrated.
Bob
I don't find the website confusing. The dealer page clearly states which are conventional stocking dealers and which are showroom only. It seemed pretty clear to me. I talked to one of the latter. He was informative and accommodating, but didn't have demo .7 for me to hear.
(((The Showroom Only Dealer is not permitted to sell Magneplanars. And you are not under any obligation. The dealer is simply providing you with the opportunity to hear Magneplanars in the dealer's facility.))) this isn't directed to folks with local Mag dealers
 Freedom of choice.
 Wendle is just trying to reach more fringe area dealers for the convenient listening experience and then able to ship to you. Of course, If you want to hear them, purchase them at a full-service shop like Audio Connection NJ you can. In our area many folks can easily reach us listen to Magnepan LRS, point 7, 1.7,3.7, etc make the right decision then, easily buy them from us, drop-ship available, or we can deliver and set up, or you can too, which is all offered with our intense support, top-level valued equipment and expertise you deserve.   Best, JohnnyR
I just bought my Maggie's in early spring from Upstairs Audio in Columbia SC Went to their store and had a listen to a demo pair of .7's then ordered a pair in the color and trim that I wanted
Returned to Upstrairs audio 4 weeks later to pick them up
The policy referenced by the OP is being rolled out only in some areas:
  • Boise, Idaho
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Suffolk, Virginia
  • St. Louis, Missouri
Elsewhere, the status quo remains.  Most "regular"dealers don't stock Maggies due to the plethora of finish options, so the effect is still that the buyer after the demo has to wait for a pair to be produced and shipped.  The story with LRS's is different b/c the markup on that model is much lower than that of the other models.  Many retailers won't touch 'em.