Soundproofing

Was looking for some insight on turning a basement room into a dedicated audio room. Need to make sure the sound is contained and does not interfere with the living room directly above. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated.
micthurst
He's kinda right.  Soft batting between studs, joists will do very little.  You need mass that ideally is separated from mass.  Then find a very heavy solid door sealed on the perimeter.  And then be able to block sound that travels in air ducts.
micthurst 

Do you have a high basement unfinished ceiling at present? When we had our house built I knew I wanted a basement listening room so I had the builder put in an extra course of concrete block to allow for a reasonable height for my listening room.  I have an insulated drop  7'6" ceiling.  As it is, you can hear little sound above in our dining room.  One thing I did was I decoupled the speakers and subwoofers from the room. The subs used to rock the upstairs but the decoupling was magic! in that regard. My family members say that they hear music coming to the upstairs via the heat/AC metal ductwork but only to the extent that they know I am down listening.
I think the drop ceiling is key as the sound is not vibrating through the wallboard to the upstairs floor joists.  By their nature the ceiling tiles absorb sound.