Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Granny, it’s obvious that some people’s only intent is to demean either a product or a person. Rbs. Please show me where I said anywhere that I could there the sahsas I to anything, much less for a few hundred dollars. I have looked at top of the line scans leak tweeters as possibly replacing the tweeters in my Ulfers, at aprox 500-700 each times the number of tweeters it has, with no idea of what that would do, other than it would be a grand experiment. You obviously are trying to take what I did say, and make into something to fit your own purposes of being g negative. Tweak, modify, I’ll define that how I wish, and will not accept your particular definition of the terms, as you’re just attempting to define them for your own ends. It’s simple guys, Miller has the the speakers sound great, he did not say they are completely perfect. Some of you are intent on nitpicking anything g he says for some reason. If you’re not interested, why are you even posting here. More of the same ones trying to save the world from the snake oil cable companies I suppose. Most  of us are completely capable of reading, Hearing, and deciding for ourselves. We don’t need saving. 
"Most  of us are completely capable of reading..."

Not of writing, apparently.
squeak_king_77
Really looking forward to YouTube videos (or at least photos...maybe a Photobucket link?) so Moab owners can learn how Chuck optimizes the speakers...in the interest of sharing fun and productive ideas.
+1

A loudspeaker with a large enclosure lacking "sufficient" bracing leads me to question the talent (and/or knowledge) of the loudspeaker’s designer. The sound produced by large unbraced enclosure walls is a very big deal, a serious design weakness that should not be left to the consumer to correct. That is way beyond a tweak.

I designed sealed enclosures for the DIY Rythmik F15HP subs I built, putting braces every 6" in each plane: front-to-back, side-to-side, top-to-bottom, 0.75" x 1.5" Baltic Birch ply doubled (each brace then being 1.5" square). Every 12" may have been sufficient, but what the hell. Each brace is bolted together where it passes another brace of a different plane: cross-braced, in other words. The enclosure walls are therefore unable to expand enough to make any sound.

The baffle of the Moab (and all other speakers and subs), if insufficiently braced, will be very resonant, producing lots of sound not fed it by the amplifier. That resonance can be seen in a waterfall plot (which reveals "stored energy")---and most likely in the loudspeaker’s impedance curve---and will be heard as smearing, a lack of transparency, and perhaps "chesty" coloration and congestion. You can’t fool mother nature. ;-)