Arcam FMJ CD33 vs Cary 306/200

Does anyone have an opinion of the sound of the Arcam FMJ CD33 vs Cary 306/200? My system is ever-evolving, much like many of yours, so going through the list of my current equipment may not be relevant.
However, my taste in music and preference for type of sound I look for does not change. I am a Jazz and Rock aficionado. I tend to value equipment that excels in imaging and soundstaging, while retaining the ability to deliver seemingly endless dynamics and tons of slam.
Given a budget of approximately $2,000, I am also not limiting myself to the two players in question. Perhaps a CD player with an exceptional volume control, negating the need for a preamp, may also be considered - an alternative most appealing. All opinions are welcome and will be respected, of course.
jaylow
I think the CX-7e would meet your needs for imaging, soundstage and slam. It has a very clean sound, more so than smooth I'd say. Very nice, full bass. A Soundstage that goes outside the speakers, and most of all, great front to back depth.

I must stress the true value of the Ayre CDP is if you can run it balanced, since it has a true differential balanced circuit design. It's a very good player ran single-ended, IMO it becomes a great player when ran balanced. Good luck.
I got my hands on an Arcam CD33. Now that it is in my system, I know exactly what it sounds like. In my given system and room, the presentation of this player is not forward, as in "in your face". However, it is certainly not laid back either. I prefer a slightly more forward presentation, anyway. It is extremely competent on all genres of music, with quite an impressive bass performance.
To my ears, it is reminiscent of a tubed CDP. I still would love to compare it to the Ayre CX-7e, though. At least cosmetically, in comparison to the Ayre, the Arcam will always be just a plain black box.
Does anyone know whether I can switch the black faceplate on the Arcam 33 for a silver one, or would I need to buy a silver-faced Arcam unit from the start? Thanks.
A little bit off here but let me know what you think ,I sold my sono sc 26 pre amp and bought a Atoll pre amp now if you want to talk slam and bottom end,wow,plus all around very very good sound.
Just my opin on the cd 33 ,no problem with rock music or any other type of music,if it doesnt play all types of music in the first place,why would you buy it.