Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Interesting stuff. Glad the speakers arrived intact and things are working out.

Were it me I would be happy the internal wires are not arranged in neat parallel bundles. Minimal physical proximity can only help not hurt. Plus were it me I would want them to be as short as possible. Nobody wants to hear wires buried in a speaker. Only external ones that you can usually see and obsess over. 🧐
grannyring-
- I treated all internal connections with Perfect Path Audio paste, but not sure that can be had anymore. 

Yes, and I still have some, and some Mats. Experimenting with the Khorus with strips of cut up Mats wrapped around and run alongside wires yielded huge improvement. Much better than simply slapping one on the side of the speaker, which itself is a big improvement. 

Now this is really a lot of work and expense if you purchase great parts. Not a must with the already great Moab speaker, but I can honestly say the upgrades were worth it for me and others. His designs are so special that they are worth or worthy of special treatments as outlined above. He has done something very special with these designs.

He sure has. Its unfortunate so many are misled by superficial similarities and appearance into thinking this is all the same old when really its all the other speakers that are the same old. Eric has the first new thing in speakers since, well I don't know when. 

I only share this you as I know you are tweaker and if at some point in the years to come you want to play, then have at it! Stock his designs are magical and perform at a very high level.

Every other weekend for me is a 4 day weekend. Week after next these should be fully burned in and stable. So possibly as early as two weeks I will be getting in there. Tweaks will be very similar to yours, just different materials, like Mats and fO.q tape.
MC, I am thrilled you love the speakers!! I thought they sounded great at Teajay’s for ridiculous money. The other speaker that many should also consider is the Perfect SET which is 1/2 a Moab but still a very large speaker. It is around 2K and works with flea powered amps. It is crazy good for 2K. Teajay uses those for his upstairs system. While the Ulfs are a monolith the Moabs are still gigantic!

The wiring discussion reminds me of the Supratek preamp wiring controversy. That preamp is still a contender even with its Spaghetti wiring. Secondly, Teckton obviously value engineers these speakers to give the highest sound per dollar. It reminds me of the Magnepan crowd who like to take fuses out and change crossovers, use different wiring, etc. They could make the Magnepans better at a far higher cost but far fewer would buy them. There is no doubt that someone like Grannyring (who if I recall also had Suprateks) could modify these for higher performance but at a different price structure if he was a manufacturer.

Tvad, while I couldn’t read your post it is good to see you around these forums again!

Does "rats nest of wires" inside the speaker produce any rattling sound? Or, for purists, does the vibration of what I assume is loose wires influence the sound in any way?
Post removed