Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
MC:
I was facetiously panning his comments. Nothing to do with you. Been enjoying your journey amd am glad they finally arrived.
Probably shouldn’t post after hours of rum and weed but we only live once (as this particular system of memories anyway) so here we go. Moabs throw a spotlight on something I’ve been thinking about for a long time now. Recording is an art form every bit as rich and varied as cinema.

The difference is with cinema we revere the cinematographer and director for their talent in crafting a visual masterpiece. Not for accurately portraying on the big screen exactly what happened on set. See? We get all caught up in how we think things should be and fuss over that when we should be enjoying the music.

I was thinking of this going from Ghost of Tom Joad to Tap Root Manuscript to Mel Swings Schubert Alley to Brothers in Arms (45), Rhythm of the Saints, and then Planet of New Orleans. Such different recordings but each one really superb in its own right. People talk about speakers sounding good with this or that. These sound great with everything. Probably because they don’t sound. They transmit. What speakers are supposed to do. Transmit the signal. Not editorialize.

It looks like the speakers sound better and better the more you drink and the more you smoke! 
People talk about speakers sounding good with this or that. These sound great with everything. Probably because they don’t sound. They transmit. What speakers are supposed to do. Transmit the signal. Not editorialize.
Congratulations! It is a pleasure to read your enthusiasm...

And this last point prove to me that they are really more than good....Good speakers sound good with anything even bad recording....Bad recording are always bad but they are less bad than many poor speakers suggest...

I am curious of your results when you will be taming these beasts in the next weeks and months...

My best regards....

:)
What a climactic moment! I'd take scotch whisky over rum, but otherwise reading these first impressions is inspiring. I hope I feel half this excited when I buy my next speakers. Congratulations, MC, and thank you for bringing such fantastic, genuine passion to this forum!