Looking for tonearm inspiration

I just bought a used SME 20/12 turntable that is about 15 years old.  I also had a used 

Dynavector DRT XV-1s rebuilt/are tipped.  Odd as it may seem, there was no tonearm with the turntable.  I have yet to identify what the phono stage, but listening so far suggest a Sutherland Loco (still open to alternatives).  There must be many out there that have had experience with the SME 20/12 turntable and perhaps a few that have had experience with the SME/Dynavector combination.  Can you suggest a tonearm that had some magic for you with either bit of gear?  Wide range of music: Rock, Jazz, Female Vocal and a bit of Opera from time to time.

chilli42
The Triplanar is one of the most adjustable tonearms made. Its bearings are several grades harder than those used in the SME arms. So it has very low 'sticktion' as well.

I operate a small LP mastering operation; the Triplanar is the only arm I've heard so far that gets everything right. Works fine with the Dynavectors too.
I agree with Raul & Atmosphere above

The Triplanar you will need to check the arm clears the suspension tower right hand back corner.

SME V is a natural partner and is excellent with the Dynavector

I have recently installed a Kuzma 4point and was very impressed with both a VDH Colibri & Kuzma CAR50 - this easily surpassed the same cartridge with Morch DP8 & Helius on the same TT.

I think the new Kuzma 4Point9 would be a perfect match for your TT/Cartridge - the original 4Point wont fit. The 4Point9 is a nine inch arm as is the SME V.

I would not touch a vintage arm, although there are some excellent vintage arms there is always a risk of worn bearings, corroded wiring etc.

The FR64S ( I have a couple ) has robust bearings.
The Technics EPA100 is an excellent arm, but I would not buy one unless I was prepared to upgrade the ruby bearings ( they are brittle and easily damaged ) with either new ones or silicon nitride for better performance.

In a nutshell here is my shortlist for your TT/Cartridge

SME V
Triplanar
Kuzma 4Point9
Graham Phantom

I would personally go with a new Kuzma 4Point9 or Triplanar.
If you go for a second hand Triplanar, get it serviced before you mount it.
Your turntable deserves the best arm you can afford.

Check Reed 3p is you want one the best modern high-end tonearm, they are available in "9, "10.5 and "12 inch with different wooden armtube. Fully adjustable (including azimuth on the fly). And you can find desirable mass. This is beautiful looking tonearm of the highest quality. Some modern tonearms are so ugly (imo).

www.reed.lt

P.S. Do not buy refurbished vintage tonearms if you don’t know personally who did the job. I bought all my vintage tonearms in mint condition, some of them are NOS, never had any problem with any of them. I wouldn’t buy anything if it’s not perfect and fully original. In fact refurbishing can cause more problems, always depends who will do the job.
@atmasphere  : "  are several grades harder than those used in the SME arms. "

several grades? : how many grades and where are stated ?

Harder?, so what:  wich its radial play, surface finish, material, tolerance ( ABEC 5,7 or 9 ), starting torque which affects the swinging of the tonearm up and down and following eccentricity of the record, noise level and vibration in bearings which adds distortion, how precisely the ball bearings are fitted into the housing and shaft of the tonearm,  vertical/horizontal sensivity etc, etc..

I used the XV-1s in the SME V and like @dover  posted:

"  SME V is a natural partner and is excellent with the Dynavector. "

I know that the V makes the XV-1s shows at its best. How the Triplanar and why surpass that excellence grade quality performance mounted in the 20/2?

R.
I tend to agree with Ralph on this issue. I have no direct experience with the Tri-Planar, but agree that people tend to underestimate the value of a fully adjustable tonearm and a well adjusted cartridge as opposed to spending mega-bucks on a cartridge. Note that Ralph's experience with a cutting lathe, and knowing exactly what sound was engraved on a subsequent record  is invaluable, and is the kind of experience that few on the site can use as a reference, no matter how many mega-bucks they have to spend.I have never found any of the advice given by Ralph on this site to be in error, and the characterization of his advice by Raulruegras as stupid, is  reprehensible.