Phono Preamp. With transformer or fully active

What is the difference in sound between a fully active phono stage and one that uses a transformer for part of gain 

I read  discussions in External SUT’s being used and phono stages with built in transformers ?

I noticed that CJ Tea2 has two inputs one is with transformer & one is fully active ?

l also read discussions on fully active 
What is better?   Lol

is the sound softer, more detail , more soundstaging? Quieter?

jeff
frozentundra
Dear @lewm :  A dedicated external SUT is not builded exactly the same as the transfortmers used in phono stages where the designer knows that the customer can have different MC cartridges ( needs a gain/impedance selector/alternatives. ) and their designs take in count that issue.

R.
@atmasphere 

Are you the guys who do OTL amps?

I loved your setups with classic & their horn speakers

Do you do “ just” phono pre’s ? 
Jeff
Are you the guys who do OTL amps?

Do you do “ just” phono pre’s ?
We do the OTL amps, but so far have avoided stand alone phono sections as we are convinced that they work better when they are integrated into the same chassis as the line stage, this due entirely to how the output of the preamp is connected into the line stage. When the connections are short and soldered, they seem to sound better.
Ralph...

Loading the transformer is well-known to control issues in the high end- the 'underdamped' part to which you refer.

I do not consider loading of the secondary of a transformer an acceptable way to control transformer behavior.  Of course there will always be some minimal load and with a known source impedance the transformer can be designed to work into that minimal load.   From a purely subjective viewpoint I have always found that reasonably well behaved unloaded transformers have sounded better than transformers forced into submission by loading.  If you start with a couple of unknowns loading suddenly becomes the only thing left in your toolbox to get acceptable results and that is the way the industry has gone.  

From a measurement perspective it is interesting to look at the HF phase response of an unloaded transformer that rings and the same transformer loaded down for critically damped response.  The link below is for the sweeps of the peerless 4722 driven from a 4Ω source with varying secondary loads.

http://www.intactaudio.com/images/SUT%20white%20paper/4722%20load.png

It is interesting to note that as the frequency response approaches flat at 20kHz the phase shift increases further down into the audio band.  In this case it becomes the choice of the lesser of two evils. Since no two people hear the same, it is no wonder loading of cartridges is such a hotly contested subject when it comes to transformers.  It is my belief that often times when you adjust cartridge loading via the secondary of a SUT, the sound (and measured response) of the transformer is what is heard.  This change in sound is then falsely attributed to the cartridge seeing a different load.

dave
Dear @intactaudio  : You posted this where we can read: 

http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752#top

"" When we terminate the transformer with a different value, we not only change the load seen by the cartridge we change the behavior of the transformer itself! This means we are changing two parameters which creates a very unpredictable situation which goes a long way to explain why results of playing with secondary loading on SUT's has lead to such varied results since you cannot be sure what you are fixing. ""

Thank's for the link in your last post.

R.