Phono Preamp. With transformer or fully active

What is the difference in sound between a fully active phono stage and one that uses a transformer for part of gain 

I read  discussions in External SUT’s being used and phono stages with built in transformers ?

I noticed that CJ Tea2 has two inputs one is with transformer & one is fully active ?

l also read discussions on fully active 
What is better?   Lol

is the sound softer, more detail , more soundstaging? Quieter?

jeff
frozentundra
Dear @frozentundra : "" Phono Preamp. With transformer or fully active.""

Both can works fine and if you ask on which is better the answer is that mainly depends of each unit quality design and excecution quality of that design.

In both designs you can use almost any LOMC cartridge ( the two first posts in the thread are wrong and with a high misunderstood levels. ).

It’s totally false that the transformer design unit can comes with a lower noise levels than an active design because this depends of the knowledge and skill levels of the phono stage designer.

The main limitation of a transformer/passive design could be the inherent frequency response bandwndth limitation that all transformers have at both frequency extremes where an active design has an advantage. The other issue is that the cartridge signal must pass through all the transformer wire length that makes a little more degradation than the active stage that between other advantages gives a more immediacy to what we listen it with a little more transparency/clarity that the transformer unit.

Now, if you don’t own a top LOMC cartridge but an average quality one then the choice is not so important but the unit quality design. For top LOMC cartridges the choice must be to go for the active unit.

Btw, external SUT is the worst choice and the alternative that degrades the more the delicated and sensible cartridge signal due that you need additional IC cables that means additional input and output connectors where the signal must pass and is degraded as is degraded at the solder joints in that cable and connectors and obviously through the cable wire. So with the external SUT you will have less purity in the MUSIC cartridge signal, more veiled signal and with a lot higher distortion levels.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

I completely agree with Raul with one important exception: "(the first posts in the thread are wrong ...)". I think that Raul has misunderstood them.

Also consider Sowter transformers. They aren't up with the big Lundahls, but they cost a tenth as much, and if you aren't using a $5k cartridge, may be preferable. OP should know that Mulveling is a connoisseur of the highest end cartridges.
Dear @terry9  : Well, part of the second post and only an opinion.  I think that I have not exactly a misunderstood as you said but that I did not be specific about. Never mind, your post welcomed.

R.
Hi Jeff,
I can’t answer your question directly but have decided on a Zesto Andros Deluxe that uses 4 internal step up transformers for the MC stage. I don’t yet have my Zesto but have well heard the original Andros at RMAF. It uses two transformers internally for the MC stage. The Zesto sound is super clean, warm and natural sounding, Their room was, by far, the best sounding room at the show. And their system was fairly modest. Not expensive at all but the Zesto Andros made the room sound beautiful. I believe SUTs, in general, make for a super quiet and detailed sound. They are, by far, the best way to step up to MC from MM. And it is, by far, preferable to have them built in. The extra IC is problematic and it is safe to assume that when internally built in, they are a perfect match for the MM stage. My vote is for built in and Zesto. The Andros is modestly priced at $4700. And a big plus is that the Zestos are, IMO, absolutely lovely to look at. They are the best looking component there is... IMO.