Blind or Just Deaf?

Does anyone following these forums actually insist
on doing a "Blind" listening test before laying out
several thousand on a new piece?

Or is a little Herb wax all you need to slip into something comfortable?

I do not necessarily mean in your own listening room
as that is difficult to do. If you have to bring your own
Amp or speaker to a retailer then you have done what can be done.
Or you may be comparing two items you do not own.

Finally, would you pay $ for a blind comparative listening session
at a properly set up facility?

I have an idea I think may be a good one.
Not from Dwight either.

Comments??

chorus
A blind listening test does not tell the whole story just part of it . Extended listening sessiones can give you much more information on the differences between audio equipment . 

That is the reason why on blind listening test where there is switching between A and B , differences are not all that audible giving results that statiscally are not relevant but do the same test on my equipment which I have heard extensively over months I can identify with a almost 100% certainty what is being played be it IC , speaker cable or what ever I have in my system at that particular moment . And its not that I have golden ears but rather I have climatized my ears to a certain equipment sonic tapestry . Case in point I have 3 different types of interconnects for my system and I switch between them playing around with them in order to get different sonic results . They are JPS Labs , Cardas 5C and DNM Reson . Using the source as where to change the IC ( I've learn that 85% of the sonic signature of a particular cable is recognizable when the IC is placed at the source ) you can change the IC without me knowing which and I can tell you which IC you have placed with 100% positive results , even with bad recordings .

Double Blind listening test have their place and analizing the result correctly can give you alot of info but to say just because you could not pickup differences in a double Blind test does not mean there aren't differences .
Chorus -- I can't remember the exact speakers that were in the comparo where I wound up buying my current Nola Boxers, but I believe they were the equivalent-sized B&Ws, or perhaps a pair of Rogers.  I've never had a megawatt stereo system or a large room to play them in, and I've loved Brit monitors ever since I got a pair of KEF Corellis, who knows when.  For the speaker comparison I also dragged in the pair of speakers I had the time, Celestion SL600's.   As for the amp comparo (which happened some time later), I brought in my Primaluna Prologue integrated to face off against a Lyngdorf room-correcting integrated.  I'd bought my Boxers at the place where I did the amp audition and they still had a pair, so I didn't have to bring them, as well.  I preferred the Primaluna.  For all its high-tech wizardry, the Lyngdorf didn't throw that much better of a soundstage, and the sound felt a hair hyped up and artificial.  Even the salesman agreed that the Primaluna sounded better.

So yeah, these may not have been strictly kosher double-blind situations but I had the money burning a hole in my pocket when I went to the stores, and I didn't have a hair of emotional prejudice. 
Well there are alot of people  who don't  believe it even they are proved  wrong .Why do they ? 

I don't insist on blind testing all my equipment, but I understand their use and sometimes employ blind testing when I feel like it.

Blind testing for me helped verify the sonic differences I thought I was hearing between some CD players and DACs seemed to be there.

On the other hand, blind testing some expensive AC cables helped remind me of the power of sighted bias.  I thought for sure my system had changed sound with the expensive AC cable.  But when I tested without knowing which cable was being used - expensive audiophile cable or the cheap stock cable - the "obvious" sonic differences vanished.   That saved me a good heap of money. :-)

Blind testing also helped me with an issue I had when I switched to a new server system for streaming my digital sound to my DAC.  When I switched, it seemed like the new server seemed a bit more bright and brittle, which alarmed me as I really wanted to use the new server.  But, knowing it was technically dubious that the sound would actually be any different and having experience with the power of sighted bias, I had a friend help me blind test between the old and new server.   Result: no sonic difference to detect.  And from then on I was happy with the new server and realize that, yeah, it sounds the same as always.

But if I were writing a purely subjective review of either the AC cable or the new server, like most subjective reviewers I would have told people they made clear sonic differences.

It's a really good learning tool, and it's up to any individual if they want to use it or not.

Some people prefer to believe they have Infallible Ears, and no one can tell them otherwise...so it's up to you if you want to follow their lead, or the more reasonable, modest proposition that you can actually mis-perceive things sometimes ;-)
Prof,

Good to know that some people still recognize that they
may not be infallible.