Preview: CODA Technologies new generation number#8 Stereo Amplifier

I have always had a keen interest in hearing a CODA amplifier in my own system for a long time. This company has been in existence for over twenty years. It's if they were a "stealth" product, very few American reviews, built many highly regarded amplifiers for other companies as an OEM source, and most of their products are loved/sold in the Asian/European markets.

I finally was able to set up a review for hometheaterreview.com on their new generation single chassis number#8 amplifier.  Internally, their has been some very important changes in the power supply, along with "kept in house" different part selections through out the entire circuit pathway.  Externally, the #8 has a pair of blue light power meters and is quite a good looking piece of gear. The build quality and parts used are at the highest level.  The number#8 amplifier is 150 watts into 8 Ohms and 300 watts into 4 Ohms.  The first 18 watts is pure class A.  Regardless of the volume levels I play the amp never leaves its class A rating.  Like all Coda amplifiers a special quality is the #8 ability to provide 150 Amperes of current if needed!

Well, the beauty of what this amplifier has brought to my system has lead to all night long listening sessions.  I have owned/reviewed other great SS amplifiers. However, the #8, being driven by the new Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL preamplifier has some special qualities, here are a few:

1) It might be the quietest amplifier I have ever had in my system.  This allows all the micro-details to float out and be heard.  Yet, the #8 never sounds edgy/electrical/mechanical as other very detailed amps can.
2) It's lighting fast and provides the speed and aliveness you find in live music to a higher degree then other amps I have had in my system.
3) The overall tonality is "silky-smooth" with not a touch of grain/dryness.
4) The macro-dynamics overall and the control of the bottom end are superlative.

In my review I'll get into all the details why this is a killer amplifier!  I also think its a "bargain" at it's retail price of $6,500.00.  So, if your in the market I strongly suggest you might want to hear the #8 before you purchase another amplifier.  It's that good.

teajay
@smodtactical I cant speak for the 60.8 but I did have the 30.8 and the No8. The 30.8 sound better to my ears.
"How big is the gap in performance between the #16 and the #8"

Enough that everyone, including me, heard it very easily. Respectfully, many of your questions were answered in my Stereo Times review, along with the posters on this thread and the #16 amp thread that started with the #8, loved it, and then went up to the #16 and had no regrets that they did because of the higher level of performance.
Hey smodtactical,

Well, everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I had the Kinki piece in for review, actually quite good for the $, and it was not as good as the Coda CSIb for my ears in my system. Also, remember OCD was at that time selling the Kinki through his retail business, so maybe he liked it better because of invested interest. I have no "skin in the game" since I just review, not sell. Therefore, my opinion is totally based on my personal taste/take on a piece of gear in the context of my two systems and matching it with other gear/speakers to get a comprehensive take on its performance.