Emotional rollercoaster

I think I've been slowly improving my system over years. Starting with garage sale finds and tip finds to eBay and ultimately spending serious dollars on some decent amplification and speakers. I was even going to post recently about how the journey has been worth it.
Then this afternoon I tested an old Akai AA-5200 that I'd retrieved from under my ex's house (left it there 8 or so years ago) and I connected it to some old magnat 10p speakers I picked up for about $40 ages ago.... and behold.... I was listening to about $60 of hi-fi equipment that sounded extraordinarily nice and made me wonder why I'd spent a hundred and fifty times that much "improving" my main system over the years. 
It's left me disillusioned and fragile. Is spending big bucks a sham. Where have I gone wrong. It's an emotional rollercoaster. Help.

mid-fi-crisis
Actually it just reinforces your love of music versus your love of the gear. I have 3 systems in my house and enjoy all of them, including the factory GM car system. If you find you tap your feet listening to your friend's Bose radio, be happy knowing your preference is the music not the value of the source.  
It's a good start, but you've only taken the first step on "the journey".  If I were you I'd have the Akai not just re-capped, but refurbished.  This would include not just electrical work, but having the cabinet refinished.  Also be sure to install an IEC inlet so you can swap out power cords.  The Akai's really responds well to upgraded power cords!  Also replace the footers, but don't go crazy.  Check the drivers on the Magnats.  They probably don't need any work, but just to be sure replace the ferrofluid.  Definitely get the upgraded crossovers.  They should still be available out of Canada.  And since you have the loudspeakers all stripped down, refinish the cabinets.  I'd go with a high gloss, automotive lacquer, but that's just me.   See, step two really isn't that difficult, but brace yourself for step three.  That's where we really get serious.
What dill said^^^ I also believe a particular sound can trigger good emotions,the same as a particular scent will.I have an old Pioneer receiver that I thoroughly enjoy too.
mid-fi-crisis,

[Is spending big bucks a sham.]

Yes, after 35+ years I think it is largely a sham.

One largely perpetuated by reviewers, snake oil tweak merchants, unscrupulous dealers (the good dealers only need an introduction - they never push), and all too many other vested 3rd party interests who may want to offload their mistakes.

It’s a vicious circle rotating around the desire for your currency.

[Where have I gone wrong.]

Probably the same place as me in believing and trusting dishonest/ deliberately misleading reviewers.
I have come to believe they know exactly what they’re doing, and where their bread is buttered. (It’s now a part of a greater malaise affecting the whole mainstream media - but that’s another story).

They will not criticise a product, they will not compare a product with an established reference from the past, they will not compare top products side by side.

For example where, in the miles and miles of column inches can you find a group test review of high end speakers?

You can’t. Why not? Anything to do with the editorial directive that potential loss of as revenue must never be risked!?

Here in the UK you will get more informed opinion from the consumer magazine Which?, than a skipful of audio magazines aimed at the domestic consumer. Freedom from ad revenue is no small issue.

Instead, far too many domestic audio reviwers continue to listen to the same old well recorded (garbage) discs year after year.

Thankfully there are a growing of pro-audio publications emerging worldwide. These are likely to be of far more use in the future. Hopefully ad pressures are less of a concern to them.

[It’s left me disillusioned and fragile. It’s an emotional rollercoaster. Help]

I’m sorry to hear that, but you are not alone - far from it. Tales of disgruntled, disillusioned, exhausted audiophiles who eventually jump off the upgrade train and downsize with great relief and no loss of sonic satisfaction are legion.

I too have many bitter memories / experiences as a consumer. My whole LP12 saga leaves me fragile if I allow myself the luxury of contemplating. I thought I was finally nearing the top of the ladder but somehow they kept adding extensions upwards. Somehow I was getting less satisfied with the climb.

At least we both take consolation in that we eventually recognised the salient fact that it’s the music, that comes first and the music that matters most.

[I was listening to about $60 of hi-fi equipment that sounded extraordinarily nice and made me wonder why I’d spent a hundred and fifty times that much "improving" my main system over the years.]

You were probably trying to do the same as all too many of us : namely climb the upgrade ladder in search of satisfaction. Unfortunately, this dream all too often turns out to be little more possible than the attempt to climb Jacob’s Ladder.

It’s laughable but I can tell you that files played back from my Motorola G7 via my Tribit X Sound Go Bluetooth speaker can provoke a similar emotional reaction to that from my main system. That tiny speaker is not lacking in any way in the presentation of timbre or rhythm.

Furthermore the truth about cables, amplifiers, CD players, MP3 rates, DACs etc has been well understood for decades.

Unfortunately, there are many, many selfish vested interests in suppressing these truths.

See below.

Anyway, signing off from one fellow audiophile survivor to another, here’s wishing you the best of luck for the future.

Cue the Who
https://youtu.be/SHhrZgojY1Q
More to discover