GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay
Hey smodtactical,

Just read this thread and the one on the #8 and it concludes that both are superlative, but the #16 is better or read my original review at Stereo Times for the same conclusion.
Terry - thank you for the Coda review!  Have you compared the Sanders/Coda Magtech to any of the Coda or Pass amps?  And any thoughts on the Sanders "voltage regulator that is essentially 100% efficient"?   I'm assuming there must be some trade-off or downside to the voltage regulator.   I'm planning to audition the Sanders 10e ESL and wondering if the Coda 8 or 16 might be a better than the Magtech.
Hey tonnesen,

In the past I had tried the Sander's Magtech on my MG-20's. It drove them easily, but I found the overall sound somewhat dry and the imaging was not as 3D as my Pass Labs amplifiers.

I believe that Coda as the OEM supplier to Sander ended awhile back. So, I have not heard any of the current Magtech amps. However, the current generation of Coda amplifiers are superlative and if I was you, if you can arrange it, I would want to hear the #16 on the 10e ESLs, instead of just Sander's own amplifier. 
Bought the No. 8 based on Terry's review, amazing amp for 6K retail, it is better than anything under 10K that I have heard by a significant margin, and I have heard a lot of amps. I have yet to go beyond the 18 watts of Class A power, based on what the meters are telling me at least, and my B&W 804 D3s are relatively insensitive/power hungry. Also, I have yet to trip the breaker in my apartment, so it is not drawing as much as I thought it would given its current output. If your budget is constrained and the No. 16 is a big stretch, get the No. 8, which has 3 variants, mine is the No. 1 which has the most Class A watts, but even the No. 3 variant has 8 I believe AND PUSHES 350/700/1400 watts into 8/4/2 ohms!