Endless debate: monitor + sub vs floorstanding

Have made a simple system with Peachtree Inova and Proac Sig 8 Tablettes on sand filled stands. Lovely sound I am quite pleased with though I'm considering either supplementing my beloved Tablettes with a sub bass (most likely the new Rel T5) OR grabbing a pair of full range floorstanders (likely used Proac as well).

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the two setups in terms of expression, detail, dynamic spectrum, musicality and also flexibility? Intuitively, it seems I may have more opportunities to play with and fine-tune the experience using Tabletttes plus sub.

I realize there is probably no perfect answer here. Unfortunately, my opportunities for a good side by side listening comparison of the two systems is pretty much nil.
marburg
I say go full range most all subwoofers are highly compromised designs over small cabinet and driver, needing massive excursions and power. Requires reinforcement from room. Not the best way to generate deep detailed low distortion bass. Just a compromise for all those unable or unwilling to set up proper loudspeakers. But we can always fool ourselves into thinking its the best way when its not.
What about "full range" monitor like Totem mani II, AMR, Dynaudio C1, Focal mini diablo? Would speakers like that be an option.

Also does you (pre)amp have a pre out. I don't think a sub should be connected to the high level output. To be honest I think a sub can be used in 2 channel audio but only if if you have some way to keep the low frequensies from going to you front speakers. A way to cut of your current speaker from recieving any signal abouve 60hz and let the sub handle the below 60hz frequensies.

I hope I make sense
This is an excellent question Marburg. I can tell you about my experience. Over the last five or so years I have used Magnepan 3.6's, Avalon towers, Linn Ninka's, Dynaudio. I now use Merlin TSM-mme's with two (2) sunfire subwoofers. I was able to dial this system in and have no desire for anything else. I found the stand mount monitor easier to place. It also has the ability to get the Orchestra image correct in my odd shaped room.

I could never get the floor standing full range speakers to do what the monitors and subs can. They get a lot correct but not all of it in my system.
All very helpful comments. Many thanks. The damn Rel went up by 100 bucks, but I still think I'll grab one.
It depends on what you are trying to achieve and the size of your room. If your room or listening area is small then sub is the way to go. It will reinforce that low frequencies and give more body and weight to the overall presentation. A caveat -blending the sub to the mains is a tricky one as poor or incorrect setting up will often cause *unwanted* bass to stick out like a sore thumb.

If the room or listening area is large you will still get an improvement if adding a sub to the main speakers. However, you won't get the scale and a large sound with the diminutive Tablette Ref 8 Sigs. That is where floorstanders with larger drivers come into play.

Good luck bidding on the REL sub.