Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
rbstehno
YouTube has the worst sound, how could anybody compare an audio component using YouTube videos?
I think YouTube is fine for the mp3 crowd.
Wow that’s some mighty fine flights of fancy going on here lately! If I may bring things back down to Earth: How is it we are able to compare anything at all? The answer is there for those who can be bothered to read through the thread. If its not already explained in this thread it sure is in my posts elsewhere. (Hint, hint.)

So, again, serious question: How is it we are able to compare anything at all? Is there a certified reference standard speaker we all agree is the one we can use? Of course not. They are all over the map. Even if there was, and even if every audiophile was issued one along with their Audiophile ID Card, what about the room? Doesn’t that affect the sound? Pretty sure it does.

What about the cables? Amps? Source? Are you getting this? Really? Want to make sure because it seems some sure are not. Change even one tiny little thing- change VTF by .01 g, change the shelf under the DAC, you name it, any tiny little thing, it changes the sound.

Yet in spite of all that no one has any problem spouting their opinion on what component X, Y or Z sounds like. None whatsoever.

Nor should they. We don’t hear sounds like a microphone. We don’t form plots in the brain and look at them. We don’t "hear" in that sense at all. We LISTEN for PATTERNS. That’s how we are able to recognize a human we know by their voice alone even over a crappy phone line, even when we have never heard their voice on the phone before. PATTERNS!

Speedbump6 gets it. "If you learn what to listen for you can hear differences." To which I would only add, "and similarities."

Crap, I didn’t want to get involved in this thread but now I have to. You know how you hear things before you buy, you listen to them at shows, friends house, club meetings, and dealers. If you can’t, then you buy them online after you do your online searches to determine which pieces you want to audition. I have had friends bring in 4 or 5 5-digit dacs to have a shootout to determine which 1 sounded best in his system, in his room before he purchased 1. I buy from ps audio which is online only now but only after hearing their gear at shows. Now, I have experience with their products in my system, in my room, and I feel comfortable recommending them to others and I feel comfortable buying from ps audio on other products because of my experience with them.
i have heard hundreds of speakers at ces, rmaf, and  THE shows for the past 20 years and only a handful have stuck out worth buying. I first heard Ushers in 2003 at an audio show in San Francisco and I have liked them ever since, same goes for Revel, Raidho, Wilson, and others.
I would never promote an audio product if I didn’t have 1st hand knowledge of it, IMO it’s just foolish to do so. I also don’t like audio dealers recommending their products on these forums mainly because no dealer would recommend somebodies product that they don’t sell when they know another product would fit better in this case for this customer. The original poster sounds like he is a dealer/salesman for Tekton but with no actual 1st hand knowledge of them. Seems odd to me
Like the era of Payola in the broadcast and music industries..circa 50's...70s. Pay to play.  Tom
The original poster sounds like he is a dealer/salesman for Tekton but with no actual 1st hand knowledge of them. Seems odd to me

Yes well it is unfortunately very common. Lots of people have very poor reading comprehension. They never learned to reason, which is primarily how we think, and so they go through life jumping from one unfounded conclusion to the next. Case in point.

For proof simply go back and read everything I have posted. Or to save time just the last few. Its pretty clear what I recommended was DBA. Here’s the relevant bit: "$2k for just one sub? You’ll get much better results with a DBA." Pretty clear the recommendation is DBA. That’s what we use the period for, to separate sentences, which are ideas. What follows after the period is another idea. "Try four of these". The operative word being "try". No longer is it "much better than." Now its a suggestion. "Try." Some might call it an example. A "for instance."

Its hard I know. So many words. So many ideas. My suggestion is: Practice. Practice. Practice.