Are CD players goig the way of the 8 track,and the cassette?

Streaming seems to be gradually pushing the CD player into extinction.My CD's are in the closet,and may never return!
rockysantoro
I have a 67 Mustang that went through a 6 1/2 year restoration, I occasionaly take it for a ride.
the suspension wasn't much better than the same year Camaros, so that got a few levels upgrade...
the original radio was long gone so put an alpine cd player in it's spot with an extention cable for ipods in the glove compartment, It sounds just ok as the speakers are all the way in the back, one of these days I'll try a couple of speakers in the doors...
funny enough,
a couple years back in a Mustang gathering, saw a 65 that had an original lp player under the dash! I think it played 7" lps, but can't imagine what would happen going over bumps and all...
a couple years back in a Mustang gathering, saw a 65 that had an original lp player under the dash! I think it played 7" lps, but can't imagine what would happen going over bumps and all...
Back in the day I know Chevrolet offered an underdash record player as a factory option.
The idea was NOT to try and play while driving but for when you were parked say watching the sun set or by the beach or boardwalk.
But I am sure some tried while driving, I can only imagine the results!

I did see one in a 55 Chevy at a local car cruise meet, no idea if it worked though as never saw the owner around the car or would have asked.
CD players have definitely become more scarce. There’s hardly anything available in the budget sector (<$300) compared to a few years back. New cars often don’t even come fitted with players.

It’s all a bit worrying for those of us without a backup machine.

On the other hand, prices have shot up on the used market. Players from 10, 20 and even 30 years ago are now fetching good prices on eBay etc.

My Marantz CD6000 ki seems to be worth more now than what I paid for it 15 years ago!
I forgot to add:

In the 80s I had put an alpine tape player in my pickup truck, the sound of which was outa this world, just mesmerizing...
even with only 2 speakers way down towards the bottom of the doors.
one evening as I pulled in the garage the local public radio was doing a live music session, and I just sat there transfixed for 45 minutes, in total bliss...I'm sure my very close proximity to the station and their tens of thousands of watts of power had a lot to do with it, but still in a lesser system you probably wouldn't have had the same experience.
that was before someone broke into my next car, smashed the dash and snatched this player from it.Bastard, that was the crime of the century...
My cd system now, even with an external 300w amp, doesn't come anywhere close to that unit. I'm sure having only two speakers has a lot to do with it, but the sound of tapes in that unit was just something else...
One thing though, was leaving tapes in the glove box, oh they would become mushy sort of a bad bad techno music... But we all did that, didn't we?

@uberwaltz
I'm guessing in those days almost all who had them listened to their record player while driving.
Records were dirt cheap, and the majority of folks were not sophisticated or Audiophiles etc., or their teenage kids showing of Elvis to their buddies...
But yeah,
while parked looking at the sunsets or a river, mountain or the ocean I'm pretty sure lots of folks were doing their contributions to the boomer explosion... -:)