Don't like vinyl

Please cancel my account
pspemd
@widmerpool 
That's a fine initial analogy to cast iron pans. But now this former chef has to push your argument further.

There are things, you see, that cast iron pans do better than any other cooking medium. Like searing, roasting spices, blistering tomatoes or chilis, etc, etc. No better vessel for making cornbread. , For its area of specialization, there is nothing outdated about the format. But assuming it can be used for everything is indeed an error, and those who do are probably wrapped up in nostalgia.

My own batterie de cusine includes a large number of tin-lined copper, some cast iron, some multi-ply stainless (what a crap material) and one higher end non-stick which supposedly doesn't off-gas like most non-stick surfaces, and some black steel which has its place also, as well as two woks. If I could have only two types of pans, they would be cast iron and tin-lined copper. Each in its way has never been equaled by more modern cookware--and each requires more skill, knowledge and upkeep from the person cooking, which are their drawbacks.

Which brings us to media. The two best general purpose media (let's leave R2R aside) are vinyl and high quality digital downloads. Each is not easy to use or acquire. Streaming on Tidal or Spotify or Qobuz?  Very easy, somewhat like teflon pans. Pleasant enough. But the quality is a tick down and if you have a developed ear, you're willing to invest effort. 

High end digital? You have to seek it out just like vinyl. Download it. Ensure the metadata is correct. Back it up. Buy it. Deal with a screen to play it. Spend mental energy when using that screen not to get sucked into something else, or not to remove your attention from the music you are listening to. Occasionally reboot the system or clear out caches to address instability in the computer system behind it. 

I don't believe that there are any cost-free or positive only formats. I do believe that most people refuse to consider the full costs of digital playback, of which distraction is a very real price we all pay. To say nothing of how much healthier it is to get our butts out of a chair every 20 minutes to flip an album. I wonder if we will be able to figure out the health costs of long digital listening sessions where we don't get up and stretch. 

I have no interest in defending a particular type of media over another in part because it depends not only on what you like, but also how you use and relate to music.

I do have an interest that people apply proper analysis to the full ecosystem of what it takes to play a given form of media. Truth still matters to me. As someone who streams, has a nice vinyl connection (my primary mode for deep listening) and competent playback system, uses a cd player on occasion, and even enjoys hi throughput internet radio, there's a place for all. 
Both sound good when played on good equipment. I don't  stream ,and never will .But I said the same thing about cds..
A young man in his forties stopped by to purchase some power cables the other day and wanted to hear the stereo system in my workshop. It consists of an Audio Research LS22, a pair of Audio Research Classic 150's, a 1972 all manual belt drive JVC turntable with an original Grado Cartridge, and a Tubes for HIFI phono preamp. His system consists of all late model digital equipment. He had never heard an album played on a turntable before. I'm not sure if he will ever be the same again as he was completely blown away at the sound. 
I have a large assortment of tube and solidstate gear.  Maybe 5 sets of speakers.  Two turntables, multiple CD players & DACs.  Hundreds of LPs and CDs, and two streaming subscriptions. 

The source I use least?  Vinyl.  Streaming is just so convenient.  And I find my best CDs and best streaming options sound better than vinyl. 

Using the turntable and getting it set up correctly can be fun.   But it can feel like a waste of time when at the end the fidelity isn't as good.