Parasound vs. Krell for 2 channel

Hey there - primarily a HT guy here. lately I have been listening to much more music though. I got JTR speakers but I love their sound/fullness for music. I have been running a Krell Chorus 5200 for 3 years. Love it, but recently added side surrounds. Grabbed a stereo D-Sonic to cover me...and tried it for my LR. I personally thought it felt a little thin/weaker, so I decided to switch back to the Krell for LR. So, I'm wondering if I should just keep it as is, or try to improve my 2 channel a bit. Would a Parasound A21+ sound "better" than the Krell? I have heard the Parasound has great control of bass response in mains, and that many people love their sound. I heard one once w/ Martin Logans and loved it. I also wonder if having 5 channels in the same box isn't as effective. I thought about going Jc1 mono blocks, but I don't have the space. Sorry this was so Long winded, LOL. But to all you out there smarter than me - should I check out a Parasound or just stick w/ Krell? thanks!
128x128ethos4lyfe
My experience:  I first attempted to consolidate and went for a Marantz 7-Channel amp in order to "do it all".  My main LR speakers sounded, well, not so good.  I repurposed the Marantz for all 7-channels to be used in a 9.1 system (Dolby Atmos overhead speakers plus center, sides, and rears) and bought BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) electronics for my main preamp and power amp.  The BAT preamp allows you to set a source input as "fixed" whereby I can then use the Marantz pre/processor as the main controller for HT and the RL  information passes through the BAT preamp to the BAT power amp.  Voila, I have two systems that serve both of my needs.  A great sounding HT system and then a superior, stand alone 2-channel system for playing vinyl.  No matter how you end up with your design, I can't recommend using a multi-channel amp for your main RL speakers.  Nowhere near the control or sound quality that a dedicated 2-channel amp will provide for 2-channel music sessions.  Krell is a fantastic product, especially if it is from the D'Agostino design days.  Use that for your main RL speakers and a multi-channel amp for everything else.  My two cents on the question.
I have never heard the Parasound but I have a Krell 400xi.  Krell is known for their deep and tight base.  

I've never heard the Krell, but I own the Parasound A31, and recently upgraded to JC-5.   I don't agree that some descriptions of Parasound's sound being dry.    I would describe it as neutral to slightly warm.

However, I agree that some people might find it 'boring' or 'uninvolved'.   I felt a little bit the same way when I was still auditioning the JC-5.  But then I started to really see that it is actually a nice attribute about Parasound.  It just gets out of the way and delivers that smooth sound every time.   The more I listen to it, the more I really appreciate that transparency, and with the JC-5, it's got nice tight bass and very smooth mids and highs, plus I love the sound stage and the spaciousness of the music.    Oh, and that low noise floor.

This is what so cool about this hobby.  Everybody has different taste, it really comes down to your personal preference.  Cheers!
Both Krell and Parasound make great amps which one is better for you is all about personal choice, your equipment, listening tastes, and the size and shape of your listening room. You will never realize the full benefits of having a high-quality amplifier if you are using a multi-channel processor. The best way to benefit from a quality amp in a multi-channel system is to install a quality 2 channel preamp that has a Home theater bypass. I just looked up the specs on the biggest JTR speakers, with a sensitivity of  95db at 4 ohms any good quality 5 channel amp that is rated at 150 watts at 8 ohms (usually double in 4 ohms) will have more than enough power to drive your speakers. With your speakers, it only takes about 65 watts to drive them to 112 db, which is hearing damage level. I don't know if you know but the Parasound JC 5 is like having 2 mono A21"s in one unit.
I have a Chorus 5200 and love it! I also have the Krell Duo XD and highly recommend it. It is SUPERB. I don't honk you can do better for the price. And of you have the standard issue 5200 I recommend you send it back to Krell to have it converted to XD. There is a WORLD of difference with the XD topography, trust me.