Is it really worth it to get a phono stage over $10k

Vinyl has been a steep learning curve. I have, I think, a nice John Curl phono boards built into my Audible Illusions M3B. I am considering getting the new AI PH-1 $11.5 phono stage. Art Ferris at AI  says that this two box unit, also designed by John Curl, is no compromise able to match or beat the best available. Curl did design the two Constellation PS-Andromeda and Perseus. I wonder if the $35k Perseus puts a lot of $ into the beautiful chassis and unnecessary bell and whistles? AI does have a long lived reputation for value and quality. In addition to the outboard phono stage I will have to get a really good interconnect which will add a lot. My analog rig is super good. Surely the best I have ever had. Woodsong Garrard 301, Ortophon 309 arm, Myajima Shalabi. It has me going a bit nuts in upgrading. $33k Tetra speakers, $7k Stealth speaker cable, $4k Stealth phono cable, amp-to be decided. The main question is whether an expensive our board phono stage is the way to go.
mglik
your tt, arm and cartridge are very good. and will be able to take advantage of the next level of phone stage beyond where you are.

i’ve had the CTC Blowtorch preamp in my system many years ago, which had Curl’s Vendetta phono circuit. so i know that sound.

yes; there is a ’next’ level of phono stages.

one version of the next level, especially with your beautiful Garrard 301, would be to use a MM 40db output and get a silver wound SUT. i just acquired the silver EMIA 1:10 SUT for my Etsuro Gold cartridge on the Saskia idler turntable and it’s a match made in heaven. not familiar enough with the M3B to know if it has a MM input.

http://myemia.com/SUT.html

a great silver wound SUT brings a level of sexyness that has to be heard to be believed. not cheap, but not crazy expensive either.
I think you can certainly do better than your current AI preamp, and you don’t have to spend $11.5K to achieve that goal.I personally am not a huge fan of John Curl phono stages I have heard, but that doesn’t mean you need to be restrained by my opinion. He is certainly good at what he does. But there are many others who are also very good at designing phono stages.

Mike, what did you think of the CTC blowtorch, when you had it in your system? It would seem that you didn’t fall completely in love, or else you would still own it.
I personally think you are better off sticking with what you have. Using an outboard phono preamp is asking for more noise. You have more connections, redundant power supplies and metal. If John Curl designed your circuits you are indeed blessed. 
 I think Constellation and Boulder are having a competition for who can charge the most for their equipment and who can make the amp with the most CNCed aluminum. At least with Atma-Sphere you get a beautifully point to point, hand wired device so you know a large percentage of the cost is going to American labor not Japanese Robots.
Had to loose my MM stage in the M3B when installing the John Curl gold phono boards. And 2 interconnects is prohibitive. But I well know the value of a silver transformer. I had 2 once in my Music First TVC. Incredible detail and flesh! But I think a great outboard phono stage should be also a major improvement. And I know the legendary John Curl Vendetta Research phono stage. Very rare used. And his Constellation PSs are impressive.