Bob Dylan - new album just out on Tidal - Rough and Rowdy Ways

Just a heads up. Bob’s new album is out on Tidal today. Just finished my first listen - I am a big fan of Bob Dylan - I consider him the Poet of my generation - at 79 his lyrics tell beautiful stories - IMO. Enjoy the music.

Happy Listening!
tom8999

Yeah @roxy54, not to mention Roy Orbison!

Speaking of The Stray Cats, they were produced by Welshman Dave Edmunds. In 1970, while The Dead and The Airplane were making the Rock music they are known for (which DID contain trace elements of Folk and Blues), Edmunds put out his first solo album (having previously been in Love Sculpture, a Progressive/Blues UK trio), entitled Rockpile (he was later in a band of the same name with Nick Lowe). It contains a lot of genuine Rock ’n’ Roll, as well as Blues and Rockabilly. I consider Edmunds the greatest Chuck Berry interpreter of them all, leaving Keith Richards to eat his dust. ;-)

Dave plays almost every instrument on the album, and had a hit single with his incredible reworking of the old Smiley Lewis Blues song "I Hear You Knocking"(written by Dave Bartholomew, known for his work with Fats Domino and other black Rock ’n’ Rollers). While Jorma and Jerry were playing long, meandering guitar solos, Dave played a taut, kinetic, scorchingly hot little solo on the song. He first creates an almost-unbearable degree of tension, then releases it at the solo’s climax. Very sexual, the way great Rock ’n’ Roll is performed. Like Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, and early Elvis. Coincidently, Edmunds includes Dylan’s "Outlaw Blues" on the album, as well as Neil Young’s "Dance, Dance, Dance" and Chuck Berry’s "Sweet Little Rock & Roller."

For another example of a Rock ’n’ Roller who knew how to create and release tension, listen to Buddy Holly’s version of "Down The Line." Jerry Lee also did the song, but Buddy’s is THE version. SO hot! To hear a great version of Dylan's "Absolutely Sweet Marie" performed by a true Rock 'n' Roll band, listen to The Flamin' Groovies' Jumpin' In The Night album (Edmunds produced their classic Shake Some Action album, another masterpiece).

Oh do tell me what young voice could improve Murder Most Foul ?

I can think of many, but I don’t think it would do any good to debate that, do you?

I hope the pasture pushers get a gentle nudge into a nursing home....

Lighten up. Is Bob above all criticism? Do we wish ill upon people with whom we don’t agree regarding Bob’s singing?  Bob has always been against worshipping idols. He’s always told people to think for themselves, that’s the message I’ve always gotten, anyway.