Bob Dylan - new album just out on Tidal - Rough and Rowdy Ways

Just a heads up. Bob’s new album is out on Tidal today. Just finished my first listen - I am a big fan of Bob Dylan - I consider him the Poet of my generation - at 79 his lyrics tell beautiful stories - IMO. Enjoy the music.

Happy Listening!
tom8999
@bdp24,

I agree with you that the rockabilly edge in rock music faded in the 60’s, but it never disappeared. Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins continued to play their music all through the late 50s and 60s, except when they were in the hospital. The Beatles covered some of Carl’s music and George was a big fan of his.  

You can find compilations of all the rockabilly from the 50s and 60s you want.

Then there was the Allman Brothers and the rise of southern rock, which had definite country influences. The Byrds did country music. Linda Ronstadt covered Hank Williams. Creedence had country influences big time.

I think what happened was the British bands weren’t able to do country as well as they adapted blues and R&B, and British bands were a big part of 60s rock.

The Band were unique. No doubt about that, but I don’t think they were the only rock band with country roots showing.
@tomcy6

Sorry, but that’s not what I said. I was saying that Bob’s singing voice had deteriorated to the point where, if he wanted to continue playing in a rock band, he should get someone else to sing.

You just said it again. And you call his current album ‘rock’?, seriously? I don’t hear much of a ‘rock band’ in this album, so perhaps you got your desire. Listening to it, I’m not sure Dylan had any desire to make a ‘rock album’ with this release.

Get someone else to sing? Seriously? Dylan ‘is’ is his voice, his delivery, and his lyrics. Without that, it isn’t Dylan.

You then said that Bob has never wanted to play in a rock band.

I think you are totally missing the point. But no, I don’t think he started writing to be in a ‘rock band’.

@tomcy6, Crowell is fantastic! The Houston Kid album is in my Top 10 albums of all-time list, an absolute masterpiece. His former father-in-law Johnny Cash makes a guest appearance on one song, the Rockabilly-esque "I Walk The Line (Revisited)". I saw him perform the album at The Roxy in Hollywood at the time of it's release, and the audience was filled with other artists (Dave Alvin was at the table next to me).

The Houston Kid album reminds me of John Hiatt's Bring The Family, in that each started the second phase of their careers with those two albums, producing music far superior to that of their previous work. Rodney spent time serving as Emmylou Harris' rhythm guitarist/harmony singer/bandleader in her Hot Band, a position now filled by the also great Buddy Miller.

But no, I don’t think he started writing to be in a ‘rock band’.

I don't either.  I think he started writing to emulate his hero, Woody Guthrie.

Enjoy the new album!  I think I've listened to it about as much as I'm going to.
Sure Elvis went Hollywood and then Vegas which removed some of the hillbilly from rock, but you can't really say it died unless you make some sort of artificial barrier between country and folk music.  Folk music covers a wide range of styles and most white, American rockers started out as folk singers in the late 50s thru 60s.  Even the future psychedelic bands in San Francisco (The Dead, Airplane, Quicksilver, etc.) had strong folk roots.  And let's not forget the whole Bakersfield Sound which contributed that country swinging tonk thing.  If you listen to the critics rock 'n' roll has more sub-genres that western classical music (1600-1905).  It's not true.  If it has a back beat and is played with a certain attitude, then it's probably rock.