I finally get it!

I had a long  discourse with VPI after I bought my new Classic 3 Sig SE years ago. The subject was that the S2P distance was off. After over one year of trying to get this resolved, I still received my tt back with this distance 1 mm (long).

I always wondered why there was no forthcoming measurement of the S2P distance. After all, VPI is know to have customers DIY their own tts, based on VPI's own products.

So, VPI offers their set-up jig with new tts. They don't offer any specific measurements for S2P. Someone had to ask on their forums in order to find out. Why?

I now know why. Because, their manufacturing was/is not very precise. So, if their S2P distance was off when the tt left their shop, their own jig (provided) would still keep the S2P distance in a (good enough) range. 

Nice try/trick.
128x128slaw
A 1mm error in effective length implies a 0.1mm difference in overhang and a 0.1 deg difference in cartridge alignment. This should not be a drama. Read the articles.

@tomic601, nope, I sold my spare Super Gold (a Decca, not a London) a couple years ago. I have two current London's, gonna get a mono one asap.

@slaw, I'm a firm "believer" in 1-shot tonearm wiring: an uninterrupted run from cartridge tags to RCA plugs. No solder joints, no cable connectors. One of my Zetas was rewired that way with the Incognito kit (Cardas copper wire), the other one is stock (a DIN plug at the bottom of the arm pillar, with a Van den Hul exterior tonearm cable). The latter is going to Johnnie at Audio Origami in the UK for a rewire with silver (he offers a choice of Kondo and Ikeda).

A 1mm error in effective length implies a 0.1mm difference in overhang and a 0.1 deg difference in cartridge alignment. This should not be a drama. Read the articles.

@olddears

Where are you coming up with your numbers? A 1 mm difference in effective length (or S2P distance) will create a 1 mm difference in overhang and 0.87° tracking error at the null points and 1.47° tracking error between the nulls. Not huge, but an order of magnitude higher than you are quoting and completely unnecessary.

What other mfrs are as sloppy about this as VPI?
@bdp24 ,

I hear you brother 

I became a believer years ago, when I first made a wire loom for my ET arm. It was a revalation.