is the sound of vinyl due to the physical process of the turntable?

Same here. I do not own a turntable, however, if the sound of vinyl comes from the physical act of the record on the turntable why can't I transfer digital audio or at least emulate that process to digitally recreate that sound? I remember back in the 1970's you had 45rpm records on the back of cereal boxes and they were not vinyl, however they sounded good why can't I do that myself?
guitarsam
cleeds
Let me clarify, as you are mistaken. (please check my website, this is what I do daily for a living)
--
In actual practice, the level of vinyl is moderated by the medium. The length of a side and the low end needs of a side, etc. Decades of vinyl cutting has always been about not just a better sounding cut BUT ALSO A LOUDER ONE. That’s part of that craft 100% because a bad cut will create vinyl products that do NOT track on all systems. Stylus quality varies, wildly.
At the same time, Limiting of the digital variety, square waves, do not cut well at all and sound small on playback from vinyl, and so vinyl premastering (if done digitally as it is in the last 20 years or more) is ALWAYS LESS LIMITED by the mastering engineer, because it sounds better cut to vinyl that way. Digital has gotten louder and louder, less RMS to Full Scale.

So for example, if we had a digital release with say -12 to -6 dbfs average and 0 or -0.5 dbfs peak (true peak over 0 with ISP intersample peaks is normal) that digital release WOULD NOT be sent to vinyl cutting AS IS.
A unique premaster would be used, with no limiting on it. This premaster would then be up to the skill of the cutter to get it as loud as possible. This is the physical limitation of vinyl that results in MORE DYNAMIC RANGE in nearly every vinyl release as compared to it’s digital counterpart.

More punchy = more musical = better.

... vinyl media DEMANDS MORE DYNAMIC RANGE. Vinyl is more punchy because it has to be, else the stylus jumps the groove. Digital can be compressed and limited to a pancake of white noise. This means that NEARLY EVERY vinyl record is more punchy than it’s digital counterpart ...
That is completely mistaken. An LP can be cut with the same squashed dynamic range as any other media. What can make a stylus jump a groove are large excursions, such as loud cannon shots on some versions of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. If your stylus jumps a quiet groove, there is really something amiss with your setup.
I like example of RVG (Rudy Van Gelder) and Blue Note label which old jazz records costs a fortune now.
Although Mingus declined to work with him. 
So if to discuss it RVG by itself created transfer to digital of most his works. So it's one point which can be compared.
Also Led Zeppelin albums remastered by Page so as they are popular you can compare them side by side quite easy digital/remasters vinyl and original ones.
Which version sounds the best for you? Digital or remastered record or maybe first press?

Sam here and i now realize it is not necessarily vinyl in particular but very specific vinyl records that have a warm open soundstage with drums that are relaxed and the music isn't upclose to the speakers and everything sounds alive.
Buy yourself a turntable and start buying records, you can’t emulate this process using digital, forget about it. Vinyl is about physical media and original pressings.

If you want to emulate analog using digital it is FAKE.

I remember back in the 1970’s you had 45rpm records on the back of cereal boxes and they were not vinyl, however they sounded good why can’t I do that myself?

Not sure what you mean.
There was a STYRENE pressing of the 7 inch vinyl records (aka 45s) up to the late 70s at least or maybe even longer (parallel to the vinyl pressings). Good sound, but wear off quickly than vinyl. Styrene is not flexible and easy to crack, nobody use styrene for pressing anymore.

You can cut an acetate from your digital file, any pressing plant can offer this option, it’s cheap on 7 inch (about $30 both sides). It will never be as good as pressed vinyl from analog source. Digital source will never be as good as the analog source (master tape). Also we lost the art of pressing nowadays, for this reason old vinyl (most of them) from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80s is superior.

When digital processing involved it is no longer analog and it does not make sense at all, because you can simply stay with digital master using some nice digital equipment. Digitally remastered vinyl re-issues are so boring.

Analog is not digital!
The source is master tape, analog mastering and then vinyl pressing.
Think about it this way.

brianlucey
cleeds
Let me clarify, as you are mistaken. (please check my website, this is what I do daily for a living ...
Your claim that "Vinyl is more punchy because it has to be, else the stylus jumps the groove" suggests you really should have an expert examine your turntable system. There's no way that a stylus should jump a quiet groove unless something else is seriously misaligned or defective.

However, a groove with large excursions - such as the cannon shots on  some presssings of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture - can definitely cause mistracking.