Phono Stage for a VPI Prime Scout

Hi All-
I'm trying to whittle away at the TT?phono stage learning curve. Tried a TT and a few records months ago and really have enjoyed it so much that I am going to get a VPI Prime Scout. The recommendations for the phono stages are so numerous that I thought I could narrow it down by polling the vast experience of this forum. Any suggestions, regrets or thoughts?

Thanks
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzyphryx
Thank you everyone for your help. I did find a used Manley Chinook so I'm going to try that out.@chayro Funny you recommended the Pro-ject Tube Box. I have the S2 now paired with the Debut Carbon.
Well, you did a smart thing.  Start modestly and establish a baseline for your ears so you can better judge things going forward.  I do remember when I had my tube box, changing the tubes to Black Sables from Tube Depot made a substantial improvement.  Also, on my Music Hall turntable, which is a Pro-ject the Herbie's mat was a great upgrade.  Hope your new phono stage works out well for you.  Be safe. 
Zyp;

How does the chinook sound, now that you found a used oneWhat cartridge are you using ?

jeff 
@frozentundra I expected it to sound better but not this much. Quite a significant change. Some of these records sound like whole new recordings. At the moment I'm listening to the Dead's Ripple and the guitar and mandolin sound beautiful. And I haven't even switched the TT yet. I am still listening to the Ortofon Red 2M on the Project Debut Carbon.