Low volume listening dynamics

Hey all, question: I listen to music at a relatively low volume, but I still want the clarity to hear the details. So, will a high sensitivity speaker/driver (95 and above) give me more detail at lower volume than a less sensitive speaker? Or am I on the track in my logic (not the first time)? Or are my ears getting old? Thanks all!
tmalkki
superultramega,

No you are not confused. Efficient speakers are not going to have any advantage at low listening levels. There is 0 logic in that. If anything, they could be worse, as they will exacerbate any issues with distortion at low power levels. If you claim high efficiency speakers are better and need for an amp with better SQ at low volume levels, then you probably have not thought it through.

Flatter bass at lower frequencies may help w.r.t. the statements about equal loudness contours. Early bass roll-off is made worse at low levels. You may find some peaking of bass in your room response, which normally would be a negative, be turned into a positive. As pointed out, can't deny equal loudness contours.
@wolf_garcia , actually the (2001?) update flattens the low level curves somewhat. At least above 100Hz. Below that, room effects dominate anyway. So listening 10 or 20 dB below your normal listening level should reduce room distortion in the bass, but won't otherwise affect the balance enough to compensate for the tone control distortion. IMO.

But that bass boost can be fun sometimes, can't it?
I have 4 pairs of speakers with low-ish efficiency ratings (82 dB, 85 dB [2], and 86 dB). All 4 pairs sound nice but rather anemic at low volume levels. They really need some juice to hear what they're capable of and it's frustrating when you want/need to listen with the volume turned down and that magic is gone. My nicely efficient Omega's (94.5 db) sound wonderful at low volume levels. I no longer experience any of that frustration which annoyed me so.
Did I get an update in 2001? Was it from Fletcher or Munson? And I have a great sounding room likely due to a  high sloping ceiling and my impeccable taste in furnishings.
I always found that low level detail was a strength of tube amps. I dont really think the efficiency of the speakers is as critical as others on this thread.