What could cause this amp to fail?

Hi Everyone,
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question. I just got into serious speakers (been into headphones most of my life). I picked up a pair of Thiel CS1.5’s that have blown me away. Anyways, I also bought a used Perreaux EX-120 (circa 1994 MOSFET Class AB 100wpc) Integrated amp on ebay for pretty cheap (seller had no feedback and I decided to take a chance) which is the subject of this question.

For the first few days after plugging it in it sounded great: warm, smooth, powerful until on around the fifth day, I noticed the sound cut from the amp and what sounded like a click. I powered it down and let it rest. The next day I heard the same thing but it started to happen more and more frequently. It would start about a minute after starting to play music and then quickly increase to the point where it would be clicking and cutting out multiple times per second (it doesn’t happen if no signal is running through). There was also a noticeable clicking coming from within the amp itself. The problem now starts happening immediately after putting signal through it and doesn’t stop.

I took it to a local audio repair who thought it was a relay issue but was unable to fix it after several tries. He referred me to another repair shop who has now told me that 8 Mosfets in the amp are blown and the input selector has ’aged out’. To repair it would cost about $450 dollars as he would have to replace many components in the amp and that it would end up as a just a power amp since the selector is a custom component that Perreaux doesn’t sell anymore.

I’m trying to get my money back from the seller, but he’s pretty much refusing saying that this is impossible and suggesting that I must have overloaded it since it worked when he sent it out. One thing to note is that I have carpet (not deep, quite short) and the binding posts on the Thiels are at the very bottom where I imagine it’s possible that the carpet could come into contact with the connectors. I have 2 other amplifiers (an entry level Cambridge Integrated and a B&K receiver which is a MOSFET design) and neither have had this issue.

My question is: could static electricity or contact between the carpet and the binding posts/cable connectors cause the amp to fail? If so, how come it took 4-5 days? If not, what is the possibility that it is my fault?
joezuu
@ozzy62  The Hafler 9505 Transnova and Adcom GFA555 II come to mind, but like I said, I'm new to the speaker world and many people on this forum would probably laugh at those as being entry level. What would you consider 'legendary'?
You know static discharge is never good. Just a little moisture in the air goes a long ways.. You have a fix, you raised them up.. As long as the conductors and binding post aren't touching the floor or carpet, your good.

I like enough room to be able to dust or vacuum. That can be a bigger problem than you might think..  Clean.. is good.. I have a dog, a bunny, a goat, a wife.  Twice a week.. summer is even worse... I do the vacuum, ONLY me... I quit trusting the dog a long time ago with the vacuum.. misses the corners.. 

Your broken amp issue... If you have something to get you by, shelf it..
The good audio fairy, will come your way... 450.00 and still not fixed, correctly, for a 300.00 unit.. Doesn't work for me...STOP...

Be patient, and think on it a bit..

First rule, do no harm.
Second, spend no money..

Regards

@OP,
I would call Ralph (Atmasphere) directly. 
If anyone is qualified to repair an amp, it is him.
Bob
How long have you had it? If its less than 30
days Ebay usually sides with the buyer if you 
open a case and say it doesn't work.