Lower end Soundsmith cartridges vs others in same price range?

Soundsmith seems to be a great option for the long term due to their retipping prices. I'm just curious if the performance of the Otello or Carmen is better than anything under $1000 from AT, Ortofon, Hana, etc. I'm running a Technics 1200GR-Elac PPA-2 MM/MC Phono pre. 

I'm not looking for other options as much as opinions on the Soundsmith VS other options.
aberyclark
Some bad info here. Yes Soundsmith is MI, but the replacement is factory not user.

You're right, B&O cartridges manufactured by SoundSmith and some SoundSmith cartridges looks like the stylus is user replaceable, but they are not. ANYWAY it's factory replaced for very low cost by the manufacturer, this is a clear benefit compared to MC cartridges from some other brands.

I just checked the SoundSmith site and quickly realized all old models are gone and replaced with new design (that looks a bit weird, sorry). 

An old design is better to my eyes (just my personal preferences), especially this one made for OMA.  

But there are many more great MM or MI cartridges in this world (or even LOMC) new or old.  

I have a SS Otello for  an emergency backup cart.

It's a great $400 cart. In my system, I hear it as described by SS. Fantastic mids/highs but light on the low end. System dependent I would imagine. 

The Otello in my system is excellent for Classical, but under-performs with bass heavy R&R. YMMV. 

I would go Carmen or better if SS were the primary cart. 

I have a re-tipped Denon 103r (from Soundsmith), what would be a true upgrade from Soundsmith compared to the 103r?
I cannot compare my Othello (old design) with any of the other similar-priced offerings, but I agree with tablejockey's assessment a few posts above. Slightly light on Deep Purple, really good on classical. It may be system dependent. I would buy it again despite that.
Well I think the cheap SoundSmiths look good. How do they sound? I've got HOMCs Ortofon, Grado, Talisman S and MM Grace.