WHat did Audiophiles hear during Tape deck era?

How did Audiophile listened to audiophile quality during tape cassett era?
ashoka
I still have a Harmon Kardon HK 2000 cassette deck. I used it to make tapes for the car. It was a good deck back in the day. Don't know why but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Nostalgia I guess.
I still have my Denon 3-head deck from 1991 in my system as well as my old mix tapes. It great to play back these old tapes and remember the good times from that time. It is good nostalgia.
Cassettes were for collecting and trading Grateful Dead concerts.  Did they have any other purpose?  ;)   

Every Dead Head I knew had at least a few tapes, many had 100s.  When I went to college (late 70s), the people with the best Stereos (that's what we called them back then) were the Dead Heads, hands down.  Most non-deadophiles had the all-in-one Panasonics, Sonys with the cheap turntable on top, cassette built in and radio with crap speakers hanging off the sides.  But the Dead Heads had real 'stereos', separates with most of the money going into the cassette decks to make sure they could make the best copies.
You can’t go wrong with cassettes from the 80s and 90s, HiQ, digalog, HX PRO, chrome. Guaranteed to enter the kingdom of heaven. Dig this. Labels to look for, MCA, Electra, I.R.S., Virgin, Atlantic, Warner Bro’s, Reprise. You do realize tape hiss went away with Dolby don’t you? As Bob Dylan says at the end of all his cassettes, good luck to everybody.