Home theater bypass - pass through question

Apologies for this basic question.

Is HT pass through and HT bypass the same thing?
In general, does it always mean the same thing to different manufacturers?

Is it's purpose to allow the use of my front end speakers to be shared between my 2ch amp/pre combo and my HT receiver?

I currently have 2 sets of speakers for my front end and I'm changing up my amp/pre for 2ch listening and would like to get down to one set of speakers for the front end.

It seems from my research that some preamps (in regards to my 2ch setup) need to be on for the speakers to receive a signal from my HT receiver and some can be left off. This is just a design choice by the preamp builder and not a flaw in my reading apprehension? 

Thank you
Mike
128x128flavo
In my opinion, bypass and pass-through are the same. I've used both pre-amps and integrated amps with HT bypass (sometimes also called "processor loop") to good effect to consolidate my 2-channel system and HT system and use the same front L&R speakers. Works great and I've always felt it produced better sound quality than trying to use an multi-channel HT pre-amp/processor.
@reubent 
Are you describing where you used your 2 channel amp for the front end of your 2 channel listening AND the front end of your HT TV listening experience?

To clarify
 My intention is to keep my Denon HT receiver and get a preamp or integrated 2 channel tube rig for my 2ch listening.
@flavo  - Yes.

Set up your 2-channel system as normal. Run your 2-channel sources into your pre-amp or integrated amp. Same as any typical 2-channel setup.

For the HT portion, run interconnect cables from the L&R front pre-outs on the HT receiver into the HT bypass inputs of the pre-amp/integrated. Connect your center channel and surround speakers to your HT receiver. Connect your HT sources into the HT receiver.

To play your 2-channel system, just play it as you normally would. No need to even turn on the HT receiver. The play HT, turn on the 2-channel system and the HT system. Engage the HT bypass on the 2-channel system. Now the L&R front speakers will be powered by the amp of the 2-channel system and the center and surrounds will be powered by the HT receiver.

Don't forget to re-run your HT setup program after you've added the 2-channel system into the mix. If you don't the fronts won't be properly balanced with the other speakers.

Good luck. It can be a great way to have uncompromised 2-channel music sound quality and great HT too, all while only having one pair of front L&R speakers.
I went through a phase doing this, until I figured out the little bit you gain with surround is nowhere near worth the sacrifice in 2ch quality. Get four good subs and never look back.