CD Transports

Greetings. I am setting up a second system for the basement and am using a 1978 Sherwood receiver. At first I was going to just use the turntable with it and play the tuner occasionally but then thought I'd like to play some CDs. In my main system I have a Rega Apollo R hooked up to an Exogal Comet/Ion. Clearly I don't need the DAC in the Rega so I reasoned that it may be better to transfer the unit to the basement and get a transport, namely the Cambridge Audio CXC, for the upstairs primo set-up. Does that sound reasonable? The CD format is moribund so I don't see the point of getting a top dollar one--most of my CDs are ripped on the laptop and I just kept some rare European favorites. I was also tempted to buy a 1995 Marantz CC 45 5-CD player for the basement, but it is probably not such a great performer. Do I reason correctly that the CXC is my best option? I think the DAC in their Topaz player is not as good but that sounds like a decent player too. Thanks for advice. rt
128x128rtorchia
Wow, so many in favor of the Audiolab 6000cdt - I'm gonna add my vote too. Still breaking mine in, but 3 months in, it is amazing and a great value at $549. Running it thru my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil dac, I'm hearing detail like never before. Have fun with yours. 
Audiolab CDT 6000 breaking in nice. Very neutral. A bit soft. Very laid back in my modest system.
Give the Audiolab some clean recording like Communique or Neil Young. It rewards!
Someone mentioned the Pioneer Elite DV-09 as a great unit
It retailed for $2.200
It weighs 35 pounds, Really built like a tank!!!

I have one, no scratches on it. Close to mint
I was selling it on e-bay, and got an offer for $179.
I felt that offer was a joke. I took it off e-bay.
 I would like to get $350 or more  for it.

Does that sound like to much?
I have the remote, manual, and original warranty for it.

I see other people on this site selling units, not as good as mine for $450

I would appreciate other peoples opinions..
I now am using a Oppo.
When I say "Built like a tank" I'm speaking from an Engineering point of view.  I am an Electrical/Electronics Engineer that has designed built amplifiers, filters,  and electronic circuitry over my career. 

I typically mean designed and built very well.

many of these have four DACS two for each side for redundancy.

As I said, i have sat and compared these units to many many other CD player/transports, and I really had a hard time finding any that beat them as transports.

Also, in response to one comment, i have experienced no sound degradation.   No scattered light, etc.

Also, the BDP-09,  DV-79AV and the BDP-95 are very nice as CD players  also because they have excellent internal DACS.  

Just saying.  With people constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest Blue Ray players with the latest bells and whistles.  They sometimes forget that some units (Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc.) were very well designed and built as audiophile level units.

enjoy