Phono Stage for a VPI Prime Scout

Hi All-
I'm trying to whittle away at the TT?phono stage learning curve. Tried a TT and a few records months ago and really have enjoyed it so much that I am going to get a VPI Prime Scout. The recommendations for the phono stages are so numerous that I thought I could narrow it down by polling the vast experience of this forum. Any suggestions, regrets or thoughts?

Thanks
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzyphryx
My first thought when I saw this thread was also a used Manley Chinook.  A little over budget, but worth it.  Sounds wonderful with my VPI Classic 2.
I'd say take a look at the Gold Note PH10 retails at $1700 but can get them new for around 1350. It's very versatile so no matter what cartridge you decide on now or down the road you'd be all set.
Seriously though you could look at a Musical Surroundings NOVA for $1200 (new), but if you can find a Manley Chinook for around $1500 its a whole different level as far as detail and air and space also beauty of tone with the Manley Labs :-)

Matt
Thanks everyone for the useful feedback. I went to hear a Prime Scout that had a Zephyr MK3 cartridge. They had it hooked up to a Sutherland phono stage. Sounded great but it has no respect for a budget whatsoever
What cartridge you are going to run seems to be more to the point,  MM, MI, MC? Output voltage and preferred input impedance matter a lot. As well, what speakers. I SAF wouldn't buy any phono preamp that didn't have an infrasonic filter if I had a ported or passive radiator speaker.  Woofer flap anyone?