Phono Stage for a VPI Prime Scout

Hi All-
I'm trying to whittle away at the TT?phono stage learning curve. Tried a TT and a few records months ago and really have enjoyed it so much that I am going to get a VPI Prime Scout. The recommendations for the phono stages are so numerous that I thought I could narrow it down by polling the vast experience of this forum. Any suggestions, regrets or thoughts?

Thanks
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzyphryx
If you can squeeze your budget up just a tad to 1400 you can step into a used manley chinook. pretty darn good until you start spending a ton more.

What cartridge are you planning on? Aural Thrills Audio Serenade might be a contender, mm and mc and runs 4 12AX7 tubes, retails for $1000.00. Check it out. I bought one 6 months ago and love it in my headphone setup. Enjoy the music
The more you spend on upgrading the more sensitive your system becomes in showing how bad new records sound, I hope you have a big collection of clean sounding original records to play on a VPI Prime with a Manley Chinook!
My first thought when I saw this thread was also a used Manley Chinook.  A little over budget, but worth it.  Sounds wonderful with my VPI Classic 2.
I'd say take a look at the Gold Note PH10 retails at $1700 but can get them new for around 1350. It's very versatile so no matter what cartridge you decide on now or down the road you'd be all set.