Great country recording

Hi all, I am looking for some great country recording albums by various artists. Really like the sound of steel guitar, acoustic guitar, fiddle, and of course vocals. Any recommendations? Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64
Man, some of this takes me back to my childhood.  Sometimes we would listen to The Grand Old Opry over our old console radio.  My mom loved Hank Williams, The Masters Family(more gospel), The Carter Family, Charlie Pride, Porter Waggoner, Buck Owens and many of the others.  Thank God for streaming services.  I don't have any of this stuff on album or CD.  Was too busy listening to rock and electronics for the last fifty years. 

The suggestion by @boxer12 of Old & In The Way is a good one. It was released in 1975 on LP by audiophile label Acoustic Disc, and features excellent recorded sound quality. They were the ultimate longhair Bluegrass band, a real bunch of hippies.

A bass player who was a member of the same band as I in San Jose (though at different times. He was leaving as I was arriving in 1971)---Todd Phillips---went up to Marin County to take mandolin lessons from O&ITW member David Grisman. Grisman told him there were a lot of really good mandolin players, but a shortage of upright bass players. Todd took his advice, and made himself into a very busy professional musician, both as a sideman and as a member of some great Bluegrass bands, working with the likes of guitarist Tony Rice, the late Art Dudley’s favorite flat-picker.

I last played with Todd in 2012 (I believe it was), and use my memory of the live sound of his 18th Century upright German bass vs. recordings of same in my evaluations of speakers and subs. I also use recordings I made (with a pair of small-diaphragm condenser mics directly into a Revox A77) of my Gretsch drumset and Paiste 602 cymbals. Better drum sound than that heard on almost all my LP’s and CD’s!

"Todd Phillips---went up to Marin County to take mandolin lessons from O&ITW member David Grisman."

How cool is that!!!

Thanks bdp24

Right, @boxer12?! Even cooler, Todd ended up working with Grisman, as an equal. All it takes is talent! Todd, like the rest of us suburban musicians, became interested in Roots music after hearing it played by The Band and the other great late-60's groups, plus Dylan's John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline albums (recorded in Nashville with all the 1st-call studio musicians): The Byrds Sweethearts Of The Rodeo album, the Will The Circle Be Unbroken album, The Flying Burrito Brothers Sin City album, etc.

We all traced the music back to the 30's, 40's, and 50's, back to the first generation of musicians, songwriters, and singers who created it originally. While most the English guys focused on Blues (Clapton, Page, Peter Green, etc.; Richard Thompson, Albert Lee, and Dave Edmunds were notable exceptions. Thompson's Fairport Convention was very influenced by The Band and their own local music, Albert by Country guitarists and pedal steel players, Edmunds by Chuck Berry and Rockabilly), when we had drunk from the Blues well 'til we were satiated, we turned to the other major Rock & Rock ingredient: Hillbilly/Bluegrass/Western Swing, etc.

Later we would discover the music that was the direct forbearer of R & R, the Jump Blues of the late-40's/early-50's. Louis Jordan rules! Asleep At The Wheel performs Jordan's "Choo Choo Cha Boogie" (as did I in a mid-70's Bay Area band), and Lyle Lovett's Big Band digs into the style. Dozens of "honkers" (sax players) and "shouters" (singers such as Big Joe Turner) were making the music that Elvis, Jerry Lee, and all the other white hillbillies were listening to on the Race stations in the South, along with The Grand Old Opry. There is a great Jump Blues double-LP compilation entitled Honkers & Shouters, a good introduction to the genre.