Node 2i use with external DAC

I recently purchased a Node 2i that I use as a streamer and DAC that is plugged into a Schiit Freya + Preamp powered by two Vidar amps.   Wondering if it would be worth buying one of Schiit's higher end DAC's or is the DAC inside the Node 2i sufficient enough where there won't be a noticeable difference?
mvrooman1526
You will note a significant SQ upgrade moving from the Node 2i DAC to something in the $1500+ range for sure (e.g. Schiit Yggy, Benchmark DAC3, Chord Qutest).  In one of my systems I'm using the Node 2 to stream into a Benchmark DAC3 and it's a big improvement...but then again it should be at that price relative to the price of the Node 2 DAC.
My experience was that there was a noticeable, but subtle improvement in sound quality using an external DAC with the Node 2 (I didn't have the 2i).  DACs used were the Auralic Vega, Mytek Liberty, and the DAC in my Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp (which is very good).  

I obtained a much bigger increase in sound quality by replacing the Node 2 with a TEAC NT-505.  It has a warmer, more detailed sound, and has a much bigger soundstage.

If you're going to add a $1500 DAC to the Node 2i, you'd get more bang for you buck buying the NT-505 in my opinion.  It's about $2K and you can sell the Node 2i for $300-$400, so you might actually come out a few bucks ahead after selling the Node 2i.
Haven't heard the Gungnir but the Yggdrasil is definitely a big step up in performance from a Node 2i on its own.

The thing with the Yggy IMHO is that it's looking for balanced in and out to perform it's best so although the Node 2i works great the Yggy really deserves a better source in order to maximize its performance.

I did find that digital cables made a difference between the two components using both coax and BNC.