How to properly set up a turntable

I am new to vinyl. Just got a Woodsong Garrard 301. Installed the Myajima Shalabi. Set the tracking weight and am listening with great pleasure. I know there is more to the set up procedure. I actually have a SmartTractor and know there are YouTubes but feel ignorant and insecure. What do I need to do. When all properly set up will I notice a change?
mglik
mijostyn2,

Your very brief summary of correct setup is very helpful.and sensible.  The only addition I would make is that the perfectly parallel arm is the starting point from which minor deviations should be tried to find the optimal VTA setting by ear.  As for finding parallel, with most arms, you can used a ruled index card set behind the arm when it is in playing position on a record to see which way it tilts.

Peter Ledermann, the founder of Sound Smith, has a really good series of videos on setup that not only supplies the "how to" aspect of setup, but also the "why this is the way to do it" explanation.  These can be found by googling them.
mglik, as others suggested, it can be a basic or a complex procedure.

The basic, as a bare minimum, would include 1) overhang and offset angle (the SmartTractor with noted caution), 2) VTF set to middle of mfg's recommended range, 3) adjust anti-skate (if available) to about 70% of tracking force value, 4) VTA generalized with tonearm parallel to record surface with stylus in groove, and 5) double check overhang was not changed by VTA adjustment.  This should allow listening enjoyment without worrying that you are damaging anything.

Then to learn more about a thorough set up look at Cartridge and Turntable Set Up links here - https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.mpl?audio/faq.html  Also you can find multiple videos on YouTube.  Review both sets of information to become familiar with the process.  Then you can fine tune your basic set up with a more complete process.

Good luck and have fun.