Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
I think for $4500 they could look a lot better than what they do.

From everything I’ve ever read about Tekton’s, they hit away and above their weight. I’m pretty sure you can probably find a reputable reviewer who will/has compared the Moab’s to 20-30K speakers without hesitation. With Eric’s designs, this seems inherently the outcome.

As a designer by profession, sure, there are ‘prettier’ speakers, but I’m much more interested in what they can sonically deliver vs their looks. And if the looks are one of the reasons for them being a bargain, I’m all for that. Hell, I like aesthetics too, it’s important to my business, yet I have Vandersteen 2CE’s in my living room. Why? Because I’m not sure anything can touch them musically for the price paid, and that’s what their job is. ‘Form follows function’. I sure didn’t buy them for their looks ;-) Anyway, I am somewhat attracted by the handmade look of the Tekton’s. There is something endearing about that. To me.

Your opinion is....subjective. You could say the same about an amp, a pre, a TT, an arm, a cartridge, a DAC, etc. etc etc. Yet, I don’t see many folks talk about those items in an aesthetic way, Nor make those judgements for why or why they wouldn’t buy a particular product. No, they usually purchase equipment for what they can deliver to the end user in terms of expectations and desires. Do their looks come into play? I’m sure they do, but I rarely hear that stated as a reason for buying one product over another. The next guy may not have an issue whatsoever.

Very excited for you MC! Surprised it took this long for you to pull the trigger. I picked up a very slightly used pair of Pendragons (so I didn't have a color choice) in black and I happen to really like the look. But far more importantly is the fantastic music they produce. Can't wait to hear your take on those Moabs.
@millercarbon purchased a pair in Spanish Tile last October. They replaced a pair of Cornwall III’s. I have been very happy with them. They seem to reveal any tweak that is made. I replaced some AQ Red River cables with some DIY silver cables with silver connectors. After 100 hours of burn in, the improvement in clarity was easily noticed. 
I did miss the dynamics that the horns produced. However, I wouldn’t go back to the Cornwalls. I did add some Stein Harmonizers which did add some dynamics without loss of SQ.

I’m so pleased with the current sound the only change I will make is additional acoustic panels to the room. Probably to include a couple of panels to ceiling. 
Happy listening.