Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Post removed 
Actually, I find they make a much finer impact visually than my past two sets, not just because the Moabs demand attention, owing to size, but because the tweeter array and stature of the speaker are so damn interesting to look upon. I went with white, which creates great contrast against the black driver array.

Ordering the Moabs prompted me to repaint the room and the adjacent stairwell, so the whole area just glows now, with new contrasting paint and the massive speakers.

I almost feel that its best not to brag about the sound, because it's exciting to see how people react to them without putting my finger on the scale... I will look forward to your impressions, MC.
You are going to love the Moabs.  No question about that.  After moving a bunch of 300# boulders this past week, 135# is looking not so bad.  That is the only negative I can come up with.

As to those who can only post they are ugly--well thank you SO much.  Like we don't have a pair of eyes to judge that for ourselves.  If you want to buy a speaker where 70% of the cost went into the cabinet--go for it!  As for me, when one does the math on driver cost and retail cost--all of Eric's speakers are a disruptive value to say the least.  I can't think of any other speaker line that offers this kind of value.  Maybe that is why a few individuals become unsettled with Tekton speakers.  Here is one more thought.  I always listen with subdued lighting.  Why do you want to distract your brains processing power with gorgeous woodgrain/cabinetry.  Maybe because the sound for what you paid is really not that hot.  And this is coming from someone who likes woodworking and appreciates the beauty of wood.  But when listening to music, I find it a distraction. I think we all know that.
Congrats on what I guarantee will be a very satisfying speaker. I've had the Double Impacts, Double Impact SEs, and now the Encores, all top notch. I had my SEs done in charcoal and thought they looked great.

As to appearance, before I bought the Encores, I tried some open baffle Pure Audio Project Trio15s (fine speaker, by the way) on a whim. I had no sooner put them together than my wife broke walked into the room and immediately broke down in tears. She thought they were hideous. I put them up for sale fifteen minutes later and ordered the Encores fifteen minutes after that. I had her choose the color, and she went with Spanish Tile, which matches the colors in our room. When they arrived several weeks later, I thought she'd balk at their formidable size. Nope. She loves the way they look in our room. No more tears.

And, oh yeah, they are also the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. She likes that, too.

Enjoy those Moabs!