Schiit Freya+ vs. high end (e.g., Mcintosh) ?

Hi all, 

I just got an mc275 power amp and need a pre. Don't want to spend a ton so was considering a Mcintosh c220 but its so pricy. Considering the Schiit Freya+ but will I regret it? I know they have a great trial period but I can't really do the same for the c220. Any comments?

I am sure the c220 will be better, but HOW much better is my question, I guess....? Thanks for the thoughts.
opticdraft
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the responses. I may give it a try but also be on the look out for a good Mcintosh pre to compare it to. 

Have any of you used the Freya+ with a Mcintosh (or comparable) power amp? Sounds like a lot of praise for its price range.
A Mcintosh C220 is pretty old. Really.. I have a lot of Mac gear. I had the Freya +, guess what I have the original MC275, and a GG MC275 too.

The MC220 might out perform the Freya +. Not by much. New it would, and recapped correctly it will. Think on that one though. It’s 25 year old or more...

The Freya right at 1000.00 shipped with taxes everything..

Great sounding little Pre for the money..

The Mac will always have the greatest resale...

Both companies have great customer service. Freya, may have a slight edge, no snooty folks there for sure.. Great PR, and CS.

Regards
I had no clue what kind of pre would match my other components or achieve a specific sound as I went from an SS integrated to a tube power amp. I thought about the Freya+ and read about a bunch of other preamps. I ended up going even cheaper and got a Saga+ with the plan to use it in a second system eventually. I wasn’t sure how annoying the clicks on the volume control would be. (not too bad) If I decided I didn’t like it the restock fee is less because it’s a % of cost and may be waived if you trade up instead of straight return. If you want to play with tube rolling to get a feel for it, one tube is easier than pairs or quads. It is single ended only and unity gain but with no long runs and only digital sources that wasn’t an issue for me.
Without anything to compare it to I’m not sure where it falls short. So I’m happy for now, but fully expect to be blown away when I finally upgrade to a “serious” pre amp. It’s kind of a nice feeling knowing that despite how much things improve with the little tweaks and other upgrades I’m doing now, there should be a big step up waiting for me when I’m ready. 
The current solid state version, the Freya S, measure very well. The first sample did have a channel imbalance, and it performed measurably worse that the other channel. A new sample was sent, and performed nicely. This does bring Schiit's level of QC into question, though. here's a link to the measurements of the second sample:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-freya-s-preamplifier-review-2.1154...
Shop for the mackintosh on a website called themusicroom.com. They have a 14 day return policy so if you’re not in love with it send it back. They even pay shipping both ways