Black vs. Colored Vinyl

I've picked up pieces of various threads about the different quality of vinyl used to make LPs.  What I've heard said is that the best vinyl to use is black, and that colored vinyl doesn't have the sonic quality of the traditional black vinyl.  Given that colored vinyl is all the rage these days and countless reissues of LPs we likely have multiple copies of anyway are hitting the market trying to encourage us to purchase yet another limited release, I thought I would reinvestigate the topic.  Anybody know of a quality resource that defines the different types of vinyl?  I heard about some vinyl back in the 70's used to make LPs that could be folded over like wonder bread being poor quality, and other LPs from the era that are solid and unbendable being good quality.  But today's market with all the groovy colors is a whole new world.  What y'all say?
pgaulke60
I prefer black because it's easier to see the grooves. That stated, I've never noticed it sounded better (or worse) than any other color. 
In the past, there were many who said clear was better sounding. Fremer said on one of his videos, in passing, that this wasn't an issue now. I haven't noticed any difference in SQ.

Regarding how black vinyl vs.colored vinyl reacts in a flattener....the coloring makes no difference. It's the wide variety of vinyl formulations that is the culprit. I have the experience with flattening required to make this statement.

I've called for a uniform vinyl formulation across the board in the past. I have no idea why anyone would be against this?
Getting pressing houses to improve quality across the board would be a good first step. None that I have run across for recent production are worth a hoot.
Thanks for chiming in slaw about the flattening.  What flattener do you have?  The guys at the record store swear that with their Orb unit they have problems with colored vinyl.
@big_greg,

I have an ORB,

These devices need thoughtful consideration regarding their use.

It's more a problem with inconsistency with vinyl formulations.