What Do You Think . . . and How Does It Work?

While watching vids on YouTube, I came across this pipe speaker design from a Dr. Linkwitz (see below).   The sound of this speaker is said to be impressive.  I was wondering if you know about this, how it works and what you think of this speaker design.  Also, what do you think would be the best room placement for such a speaker, and would you be tempted to build them?

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm
bob540

twoleftears
2,407 posts05-20-2020 9:53am

Didn’t HSU make home subs from cylindrical cardboard concrete forms back in the day?

Sonotube, and a lot of us, poured the concrete, too. Concrete Tubes are dead silent. No problem, with vibration, just placement.. 18" vary from 60-100 lb a foot. Depends on wire size, the mix and thickness. Taller the tube deeper the tone. I used an underground vault on time.. Two PA drivers. It has had, 12,15,18" drivers. Settled on 15, last time I looked 1 block of BASS... 2-400 watts

"T" base bens too. The uprights were passives the crossbar was active.
Talk about boom boom, very easy to room tune also.. length or PR, true glass breakers..Very space hungry laying down..

OP is on to an oldie for sure, they been around for a while. I’ve seen a few, different designs, We called them 3x2. Three way, Two driver

Pipe organ design, Length x diameter.... for the blend....... ahhhh the blend
Can also stuff the tube and move the stuffing up and down for tuning.

Bull horn style is fun to.. Honk Honk.. Think Ampa...

Regards

@gregm:  I’m don’t really have the room for them, especially since they need space to sound their best.  But for the price, they are interesting.  If my patio were covered or enclosed, that might be an application worth considering.

I wondered what the two drivers at the top, one facing up and then one facing forward right above it, do for the sound?