Are integrated amps technically better than separates?

I'm assuming we are talking same class of amplifier and the integrated has the features you want. I'm thinking the integrated could actually be an improvement over separates due to being a more "direct" connection. Taking away the flexibility factor of separates, is my line of thinking correct?
aberyclark
Well, arguments can be made, particularly depending on budgets.  

But if you take that step, doesn't it make more sense in some ways to have an outstanding pre-amp, with a nice big power supply - and simply use powered speakers?

Always trade-offs, but I've often kicked around really seeing what the best integrateds I can afford could do.
I had all separates and took the plunge and went with a high end integrated amp with built in DAC and very impressive specs. My Peachtree Nova 300 put separates to shame. Smooth, dynamic and uber powerful 
I have a very good integrated. That being said, I think the very best will be high quality separates. If you want the most value for your dollar, that likely will be a single component. If you're not worried about the budget, that's different.
L.
New: the biggest bang for the buck, integrated.

Used: I gotta say separates.
For some reason, stereo bunnies, leave some really GOOD deals around.

Not to say the there’s not deals on integrated, just not as many.
I Wonder why?

Happy with what they have crowd, did a little more research crowd, bigger bang for the buck crowd, sound friggin’ great crowd. I can see why, for sure. Some really good ones, Accuphase, Man oh man. A true regret, when I sold that.

To answer the question are integrated technically better, NO, technically.  But being well matched with each other, 
Technically sounds quite a bit better for the NEW dollar....

Regards
I prefer separate units; and here’s why:  you get more flexibility. For instance, combining a tube preamp with a much more powerful power amp; even mono block units; Very unlikely you’d reach the same power levels at the equivalent cost in an integrated amp.