Are integrated amps technically better than separates?

I'm assuming we are talking same class of amplifier and the integrated has the features you want. I'm thinking the integrated could actually be an improvement over separates due to being a more "direct" connection. Taking away the flexibility factor of separates, is my line of thinking correct?
aberyclark
As might be expected, answers will vary.

Without comparison of actual units this is a thought exercise only having limited benefit to actual system building.

Results vary widely and wildly dependent upon the particular components and system build.  :)
aberyclark
Are integrated amps technically better than separates?

No! There is simply no getting around the advantage of separating components, power supplies, etc.

And also the biggest advantage to me is the, ability to be able to ditch the preamp, gaining transparency and dynamics if the source has a good way of controlling the volume without it.

Cheers George
Monoblocks beside the speakers with real short speaker cables, separate power supplies that minimize modulation from the other channel’s power supply sag on demand, separate circuits that minimize interference from the other channel’s electronics etc. Better imaging and soundstaging, and better stability and coherence of the music all round.

I agree that an integrated, theoretically, has an advantage over separates.  Not long ago, I heard a Levinson 5805 integrated playing through a pair of Magico A3 speakers at a local dealer.  I fell in love with the sound from the mids on up and the holographic sound stage illusion.
     I use separates but this demo sounded so good to me that I was actually seriously considering trying the 5805 in my system and Magnepans to see if it would provide these same qualities.  The dealer suggested a used Levinson 326S preamp that was just traded in, basically the same preamp section the 5805 contains internally, would provide what I wanted.  
     I was a bit skeptical, tried it anyway, he was exactly right and I bought it.  My main point is to suggest you not discount the benefit of flexibility that separates offer. I'm using the 326S stock pc and the balanced xlr cables I use are decent but nothing extravagant.

Tim

Ditching the preamp may, but certainly is not, an assurance of superior sound. Soundstage and tonality may suffer without a preamp. But, of course, apart from actual comparison the responses are generalities that can be overturned in any comparison.