The Mhdt lab Balanced Pagoda DAC

In the last couple of months I have received numerous Emails from readers regarding could I fine a truly balanced R2R DAC that would sell for less then $2,500 to review. Since, I am a fan of the very reasonably priced, but very well built and terrific sounding DACs from Mhdt Lab I requested from the them the Balanced Pagoda model that retails for less then $2,000. In the past I have reviewed the Orchid DAC and found it to be a superlative music maker, raved about it and thought it was a great bargain at it’s price point of $1,200. Take a look at the threads here on AudioGon, where the DIY/modders have shared how they improved the performance of the standard Orchid to a higher level.

The Balanced Pagoda uses four, two per channel, highly regarded NOS Burr Brown PCM 1704-J grade chips. Of course all circuity is doubled and it uses a pair of NOS WE 396 tubes in the analog conversation section, compared to the Orchid’s single tube.

If you run a balanced system and are looking for a "honey" of a DAC, the Balanced Pagoda might be the DAC you are looking for because of its performance vs cost ratio. It takes the beautiful tonality, 3D imaging, wonderful air around instruments of the Orchid to a higher level and adds more transparency/micro-details, with dramatically more powerful overall dynamics/ bass extension. Yet it never becomes analytical in its presentation and draws you into the music.

There are two caveats to be mindful of to get the magic out of the Balanced Pagoda: 1) Drive it with an AES/EBU balanced cable. 2) Only use the XLR outputs. Otherwise you will lose the ultimate performance of this DAC in your system.

I’ll be writing for the Stereo Times website the full review with all the details about the Balanced Pagoda in the next couple of months. For now, this "heads up" hopefully provides to the individuals that were seeking a balanced DAC in this price range enough details to seek out an audition of this excellent performer.

teajay
@soix  I'd be happy to put together reviews of equipment if I was compensated by a manufacturer to do so.  But sadly I'm not a professional "Influencer" - I do have another job. Don't get me wrong -  there's no shame in being an influencer.  I use them often when I've got my marketing hat on.  And just because a product is "reviewed" by an influencer doesn't necessarily make it an unfair assessment.  The Pagoda - for example - could be incredible.  Lord knows they've been making it long enough, so it must be ok. @teajay is just one of many influencers who love posting on Audiogon.  Especially over there in the Miscellaneous forum.  Good influencers, by definition,  build up lots of followers and fans.  People are entertained by their posts and most of all they trust them. You're obviously a fan of @teajay - which is lovely. The rest of us just need to take the reviews of all influencers with a large spoonful of salt.
Hey janehamble,

I think you think you are crafty in the use of your semantics, regrading me as a "Influencer", which is your code for someone who does not tell the truth or as been bought off to sell some piece of equipment. You also seem to have a problem that because many individuals trust my take on pieces of gear and it helps them find out new pieces, that they are idiots for doing so. Which actually is demeaning to them. I tell everyone to use their own ears as a final judgement not mine.

I really don’t care what your opinion is of me, it’s amazing that threads like this, that members found informative and useful, have to put up with negative/unproductive comments like yours. As long as you think what I do is some type of crooked enterprise and I benefit in some underhanded way, and you can write a great review, please sent me your resume and a copy of one of your reviews and I’ll help you get a reviewing job so you to can reap the benefits outside your day work. I’ll be waiting!

By the way, I can’t remember the last time I posted, if ever, on the Miscellaneous forum.
Teajay, I don't always agree with your reviews.   But I see no reason to suspect you are being anything less than dead honest in your assessment.  There are times when personal preferences, system and room context, etc. will lead serious audiophiles to different conclusions.  I read with interest your comments and will look forward to your review on the Pagoda.  I prefer to run balanced and have been intrigued by the Pagoda for some time.  It might be the right choice for me.   

Generally speaking, I could wish that more reviewers published reviews of equipment they don't like.   I certainly don't like everything I audition, and sometimes I am really disappointed after auditioning a piece I thought I'd really like.   I have to think that reviewers experience this sort of thing, but it's rather rare to read a negative review.  
@janehamble (Jeremy)

What’s your problem?

I don’t understand your responses here on audiogon. You make accusations without any proof and see no benefit to your comments.
I actually made 2 purchases based on teajay’s reviews since we share the same tastes and couldn’t be happier. You accuse him of being an influencer but most of us here on audiogon  are experienced audiophiles and know what we like to hear. I’ve been an audiophile since 1974 but it has gotten harder to audition equipment since there aren’t many brick and mortar shops around these days. So we rely on forums like these or reviewers that have similar tastes in equipment and music.

Besides communicating on line, I actually spoke to teajay. He was very sincere and honest especially when deciding to upgrade my Lawrence Audio Violin speakers to the larger Cellos. Based on my room size, he thought the Cellos would overwhelm my room. Since he reviewed both speakers, he thought the Violins were mini Cellos.

So Jeremy, can you please stop your baseless accusations!
I suspect jane is still ticked off about the Lab12 dac review. It wasnt brand new when @teajay reviewed it and jane probably bought it. Then jane got upset because teajay heard something later that he preferred. 
Its just audio gear kids....different flavors of very good.