Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

I will have shootout between TS BGRP, RCA vt231, KR vt231, Syl vt231, Raytheon vt 231 and "Bad boy" next weekend.

If I get MELZ 6N8S 6SN7 Metal Base next week, then I will also include it in shootout

RCA5691, Psavne Acme 300B, Psavne Acme 805 are also being used in Line Magnetic 508 amplifier.

Speaker will be Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

Digital source will be Dave and HMS fed by ripped CD stored in ssd drive of Cocktail audio x30.

I will play

Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves"

"Trinity Sessionn " by Cowboy Junkies

For classical orchestra, "Trittico" directed by Fennel.

"Still harry after all these years" will be for fusion jazz.

Any more suggestion gentlemen and ladies.

Thomas
128x128shkong78
@audition__audio

All vt231 (Syl, Kr, Rca, RT and TS) are in the same tier, not that TS is one notch above .

Bass Kr, Rca, Rt, TS , Syl in the order

Transparency TS, Syl, Kr, RT, RCA

Details Syl, TS, Kr, RT, RCA

Tonal balance Kr, RCA, TS, RT, Syl

Soundstage width RCA, Syl, TS, Kr, RT

Soundstage Depth TS, Kr, Syl, RT, RCA

Thus overall they are close in SQ.

Unless you want see-through transparency, you do not need to pay 500$ for TS bgrp.

Kr is attractive due to best bass and sweet tonality.

Syl is attractive due to excellent details and transparency

RCA give warm and lush sound which make one comfortable with nice bass.

RT is not far behind other ones.

TS’s bass is close to Syl with tight but not full impact compared with KR.
It’s been my experience; everything matters, when it comes to life-like sound reproduction.                I’m not going to skimp on what produces the sound, that’s being projected into my (already maximized) listening room.       What would have been the point, of making all my other system/room upgrades?       Last week; I paid close to $600 (with shipping/insurance), for Brent Jessee’s last pair of round plate Tung-Sols.       These are the forth pair, that I’ve had in my Carys, in the past couple decades.       They proved my top pick, from the upper dozen+, of the Chimera tube trials.        I’ve tried them in concert (splitter and driver), with every other top rated tube, on that list, over those years.       Currently, using a pair of Sylvania, bottom-gettered, 2 hole/T plates, from 1952.         I’ll never regret one cent, spent on any of those T-S beauties! They’ve consistently allowed whatever comes before, to pass without editorializing.      Of course; that’s just my opinion and- who am I to say, what’s right in your room?
@rodman99999

I do respect your personal choice.

Choice of tube or cable depends on system and personal taste.

There is no best thing. for everybody.

I had pulled the trigger for another Kenrad vt231 which fit my personal taste with sweet mid and most strong bass.

Thus I will have 3 pairs of KR vt231 which will outlast me.

Each vt231 has 10k expected hours.

The only tube which has possibility to dethrone KR vt231 is Melz metal base which I ordered 3 weeks ago.
If you rewire your filaments to 8V or 12V the price of NOS SN7s becomes a whole lot cheaper.

Better still don’t use an amp with tubes that every Tom Dick and Harry is using, driving prices up to insane levels. The 6SN7 isn’t the be all and end all by any means, and there are plenty of viable alternatives which don’t have the mythology attached.

If you build our own gear the world is your oyster. Ever heard a really well designed 12B4 preamp?
@ pesky_wabbit

I found that Nos12sn7 tubes are available at lower price.

But I like full and sweet sound out of 6sn7.

After having spent 2800$ on buying 25 pairs, I found my favorite Kenrad vt231.

But I do not mind using some other 6sn7 tubes from time to time to taste different flavor.

My journey on 6sn7 is almost over.

The only remote possibility is what will happen if I like Melz metal base.