Wireless vs. USB

Before dropping major $$ improving in my digital front end, I'd like to hear from more knowledgeable users on this question: Why does a wireless signal, when received by and transmitted from digital player to DAC via good USB connector, sound better than pure wireless received by an all-in-one streamer with DAC -- even though both use the same DAC? Some Aurender digital players output ONLY high-grade USB (no optical, coax, AES/EBU) to DAC, whereas others like Cambridge 851N are all-in-one streamer/DACs (with digital preamp capability too).The Cambridge, of course, receives USB in (among others) and outputs line stage.

If this simply reflects the principle of specialized function -- one operation per device, no clutter like that found in line stage preamps with onboard phono and DAC -- then I get it. But since even USB from laptop to streamer/DAC sounds better than wireless signal direct to streamer/DAC, maybe the answer is something simpler than just higher quality, single-function components. After all, my Macbook Pro is no Aurender digital player, yet its USB out to Cambridge still sounds better than streaming Cambridge alone.

Advance thanks for advice. Still fumbling my way around in this brave new-ish digital audio world.
hickamore
Hi Hickamore,
Your question like other recent questions here depends very very much on specifics.  The generalities that USB in the mix is always better is not one I know how to view. I have no evidence that this is generally true or not.  There's not enough evidence to argue the point.

If there is a difference it is likely to be very much specific to units and software.  The issues I could foresee to cause a difference, if extant, would be data quality, RF noise, and jitter. 

I will say that it's taken a while but USB has matured than when first used.  It's faster, it's asynchronous, often driver-less and galvanic isolation is assumed in all players.
>> Why does a wireless signal, when received by and transmitted from digital player to DAC via good USB connector, sound better than pure wireless received by an all-in-one streamer with DAC -- even though both use the same DAC? <<

I doubt that that’s a generalizable finding. I’d hope that manufacturers take more care in designing their most expensive equipment (separates), but still, I can see that a streamer with DAC could operate at a very high standard. For example, I’d hope that Classe’s Delta Pre at $10k would do a bang-up job.

Then, of course, there’s the question of what’s "better" in audio. I understand that things do sound different and better, but I wonder whether, when comparing products at similar levels of design and build quality, the impression of "better" might not be from slight differences in volume or frequency response. It’s amazing how a few dB boost around 10 kHz can make the sound more spacious on a good recording (and more irritating on a bad one).
Hi Erik,

Maybe I should rephrase the question.

My specific thought is replacing Macbook Pro + Cambridge 851N with Aurender X100L player ($3500) + Schiit Yggdrasil DAC ($2500). The former has only USB out. In that budget range, what if anything would you do?