What do you think causes the crackle and clicks we hear?

I think pops are easier to understand but clicks and crackle noises, what causes this?
scar972
Zero Stat lol.  Unfortunately, I see absolutely no improvement when using.  I'd say best used as a paperweight, only its not heavy enough.  The maple shade static draining brush looks intriguing.... cheaper too!
I have the same issues with these old records I am cleaning using the SpinClean record washer.  Most show a lot of improvement in amount of noise, but there are certain records that continue to pop and crackle.  I clean them a second time and not much improvement.  I was chalking it up to excessive grove wear — I know that the equipment they were played on decades ago was not very good; neither was the care and cleaning (some were my teen party records).  I hadn’t thought about static electricity.  I will need to look into that.

On another thread, I asked for advice for reducing the warp in one record that I have. I think it was affected by heat somehow.  My idea was to use a clothes iron to heat the record and press it flat.  I laid the record on a paper record sleeve on a flat surface, then placed a microfiber towel over the record and then applied the iron (no steam).  I went slowly and started out with low heat.  The warp decreased but not enough to play it.  So, I gradually upped the heat and it was still hard to get the record flat — If anything, it warped more on other parts of the record.  I think it would take a special device that could apply heat and pressure equally over the entire record surface all at once.  Otherwise, it just continues to warp in a different way than when you started.  I was looking forward to hearing those island rhythms too!
The Zerostat has always been a pain to use, and only marginally effective. I replaced it with a Nagaoka Kilavolt No. 103 (no longer in production) years ago, and now also have a Furutech Destat III. Both are much better than the 'stat.
Hi,
even if you have a turntable with acrylic platter and there is humidity.