Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

I will have shootout between TS BGRP, RCA vt231, KR vt231, Syl vt231, Raytheon vt 231 and "Bad boy" next weekend.

If I get MELZ 6N8S 6SN7 Metal Base next week, then I will also include it in shootout

RCA5691, Psavne Acme 300B, Psavne Acme 805 are also being used in Line Magnetic 508 amplifier.

Speaker will be Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

Digital source will be Dave and HMS fed by ripped CD stored in ssd drive of Cocktail audio x30.

I will play

Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves"

"Trinity Sessionn " by Cowboy Junkies

For classical orchestra, "Trittico" directed by Fennel.

"Still harry after all these years" will be for fusion jazz.

Any more suggestion gentlemen and ladies.

Thomas
128x128shkong78
Thanks for posting your results. I’ll start by saying all systems are different. I agree with your results of the KR VT-231, RCA 231. Also the Sylvania VT-231; very good tube but bass is light and not extended.
RCA vt231 is kind of all around player. Compared with TS bgrp, its sound is slightly warmer with lush tone but with enough sparkle and air.
Good description, I find the RCA to have great warmth and air. For a more neutral tube, RCA GTB has the same mids and great top-end.

However, I must say the Tung-Sol BGRP is my favorite tube. I find it to have smooth extended highs, transparency, and solid bass. A very musical tube which presents  realistic sonics.
I paid close to $500/pair. Very expensive, it’s become difficult to find matched pairs with low noise and microphonics. Some of the Sylvanias would be a good substitute and they are very affordable.

@lowrider57 

Thanks for your kind word.

Overall TS bgrp is the best tube but law of diminishing return apply too heavy here.

I have 6 more sets of 6sn7 Nos tubes for shootout including Melz 1578 metal base coming from Ukraina.
Yes, I understand you saying law of diminishing returns. Looking forward to your thoughts on Melz. I'm looking for a pair of input tubes for my Atma-sphere amp. Right now I'm using 6 Sylvanias.

shkong78, Thanks for giving us the results of your shoot out.  It's a lot of work to gather and listen to all those tubes in your system.

Aside from which tubes are among the best, I take away a couple of points.  First, the law of diminishing returns applies big time in audio.  you're going to pay a hefty premium to get something that is considered "the best".  

Second,  There is no one best for everyone.  Our ears, systems, and rooms are all different.  The tube that sounds right in one person's system may not sound right in another's.  If you're looking for the best tube in your system, you have to try them out yourself.

Thanks again for the info.