THE GOLDEN AGE OF TURNTABLES!

128x128yogiboy
Phhh, the golden Age ... in former years engineers made the stuff, the competition was high but everyone was living. Some of the older ones survived because the passed the test of time even today.
After CD everyone noticed that analog is more than missing a remote control. You can feel it, touch it etc. and you can keep the hobby alive by equipment rolling. I don't talk about sound quality...but reissues survived it. Today the market is loaded with every design you can imagine, same for Arms etc. Not easy to find something outstanding for a fair price. 
Yes, maybe the overall quality was better years ago ... cheap design/production is common now...
Btw when i said EMT motor i meant cartridge motor. Maybe we should first set out the dark age.. i suggest the 80’s and 90’s - linn, cd’s, shoulder pads😉
Whilst records were not mainstream at least dj’s kept them alive - its what got me into this
Tulipmania in these days are wiring prices. It's a golden age for cableman.

A lot of technologies in cartridges are lost especially in MM and MI. The only bright side is return of Technics.
Those ’Golden and Dark Ages’ in analog were not synchronous either.

The Golden Age of analog recording probably ended in the late ’60’s, with the introduction of solid state and multitracking. Many of the great audiophile labels (Decca, RCA, Mercury, EMI, Blue Note, etc.) already lost their way in the ’70s, years before digital arrived.

The Golden Age of analog record players - Turntables - ended in the early ’80s on a real high, with the various statement tables like technics SP-10mk3, Pioneer Exclusive P3, Kenwood L-07D, Denon DP-100, Sony PS-X9, Micro SX-8000mk2, Thorens Reference, etc. This came to an abrupt end with the arrival of the CD.

Of course the later ’80s and ’90s were the Dark Age of ’perfect sound forever’, but the vinyl Renaissance that started early this century is developping into another Golden Age. The market is getting bigger, there’s more competition, more R&D, etc.

All that is great, but what’s new? To many ’experts’, the current King of Turntables is the TechDas AirForce Zero. This is a Micro SX-8000mk2 ’in extremis’, to the tune of $150k. It is even developped by the same designer, who must be of a venerable age by now.

So while I haven’t seen much real innovation in turntable, tonearm and cartridge design, this certainly is a Golden Age of the Phono Amplifier, both tube and solid state. As much as I enjoy the ’old stuff’ for turntables, tonearms and cartridges, you do need a top level modern phono amplifier to bring out their best.

Hi,
why do i have the feeling that the inspired and top notch tt’s of yesterday if manafactured with todays standards and materials would most likely outperform (in musicality at least) the majority of current silly designs? Everything is not information retrieval, if cannot play the song. All of the above mentioned by @edgewear plus a few more will sure do. Even that scottish suspended one with airpax motor and that english one from the 50’s stand the test of time, especially the latter is again in production, at a cost. Only thing that changed is media revealing what we were not aware of at the time.