THE GOLDEN AGE OF TURNTABLES!

128x128yogiboy
very interesting this. Doesn't it depend how you define it? Relative to time considering it in terms of the media that people bought it must have been the 70s' before CD came along. I think the late 70s' had the best technology relative to time as well when the likes of Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer et al really put their corporate boffins to making great turntables. The EMT motor is still used now, I think Koetsu may have started in the 70s'. A lot of people think that they have re-invented the wheel particularly cartridges - think again. Lets be honest a cheap Airpax motored 3 spring deck was considered the best turntable in the UK for over a decade. Of course right now we have access to the knowledge and wealth of info gleaned, and if lucky people with the skills to make turntables, but we can then argue that this is the greatest moment in time as we know more than ever before. LP is competing with CD's, streaming, on line media and gaming - god knows what else. Back then - the TV.
@mijostyn, you don't bother me in the least, but you sound a bit pissed off yourself. I'm happy for you that you enjoy modern turntables and cartridges. Why can't you let other folks enjoy the old stuff? Turntable won't bring down the economy, so there's no reason to get upset....
Phhh, the golden Age ... in former years engineers made the stuff, the competition was high but everyone was living. Some of the older ones survived because the passed the test of time even today.
After CD everyone noticed that analog is more than missing a remote control. You can feel it, touch it etc. and you can keep the hobby alive by equipment rolling. I don't talk about sound quality...but reissues survived it. Today the market is loaded with every design you can imagine, same for Arms etc. Not easy to find something outstanding for a fair price. 
Yes, maybe the overall quality was better years ago ... cheap design/production is common now...
Btw when i said EMT motor i meant cartridge motor. Maybe we should first set out the dark age.. i suggest the 80’s and 90’s - linn, cd’s, shoulder pads😉
Whilst records were not mainstream at least dj’s kept them alive - its what got me into this
Tulipmania in these days are wiring prices. It's a golden age for cableman.

A lot of technologies in cartridges are lost especially in MM and MI. The only bright side is return of Technics.